Sculpting A Baby

Decorating By Raisen Updated 13 Aug 2006 , 6:28am by kymscakes

Raisen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raisen Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:54am
post #1 of 22

Does anyone have easy instructions for making a baby from fondant/gumpaste? I see such adorable photos of cakes with babys under blankets or sitting in diapers....but can't find instructions. I don't have a polymer clay book.....Thank you all for your help.

21 replies
SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:08am
post #2 of 22

I've done one of these. All I did was look at someone elses and try to copy it. If I got confused at the angles of the arms or legs I just had my son "assume the position" and I'd see how his arms were bent, etc. It's kind of intimidating, but it really isn't as hard as it seems.

mspeed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mspeed Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:09am
post #3 of 22

Check out a book by Lindy Smith (from the UK). The book is "Celebrate with a Cake!" Has some instructions for a baby with a blanket. Hope this helps.

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:45am
post #4 of 22

I am in the same situation, I have a baby shower cake this weekend and I want a baby for the top. I saw some people use a mold, I've been everywhere locally and can't find one, saw some online but I am concerned shipping will take too long so I am going to go ahead and sculpt it. My hope is the blanket will cover up most mistakes, any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:50am
post #5 of 22

I know they have them at Hobby Lobby and I'm sure Michael's and other craft stores carry them, but in the modeling clay section, they have molds for faces (adults and babies) and body parts. That could at least be a start for you. Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon right now you could print online. HTH.

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 2:50am
post #6 of 22

I've done a baby on top of a cake. I covered him in a blanket so I didn't have to fuss so much with his body.

I really just did it on the fly...but I guess looking back I got a lot of inspiration on how to make them from the wilton yearbooks.

If you like my baby...let me know and I can try to talk you though it..it was pretty easy and plain...you may be looking for something more detailed though.

kymscakes Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:14am
post #7 of 22

SLK,
so funny you should mention your baby, that is what I was using for inspiration this afternoon after I had given up on a mold! I love this site, I feel like I am in the company of genius!

kymscakes Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 5:52am
post #8 of 22

okay, so I made a baby, I couldn't figure out how to attach the photo to this message but he is in my photos, take a look and if anyone can tell me how to attach hime I would like to know.

Raisen Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 9:51am
post #9 of 22

Kymscakes and SLK, adorable babies! Yes if you could jot down the steps I'd appreciate it. I guess I should stop worring and just get some gumpaste and try. WHats the worst that could happen....I can just squish it and try again. Right? Do you use toothpicks to hold on the head, arms?

Thanks ALL of you soooo much for taking the time to reply!

kymscakes Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 10:51am
post #10 of 22

I did not use gumpaste, just MMF and I did not use toothpicks because he is laying down. his head is pretty well stuck there. I felt the same way about screwing it up, no biggy...I also had a little plastic baby to look at for inspiration, give it a go, see what you come up with.

SLK Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymscakes

SLK,
so funny you should mention your baby, that is what I was using for inspiration this afternoon after I had given up on a mold! I love this site, I feel like I am in the company of genius!

Well, I'm glad I could provide you with a little inspiration....but as far as your comment "in the company of genious" that's not me...I'm just a little ol cake hobiest trying to make it in the world....lol

BTW - your baby look awsome. Very detailed and his body is perfect...my body was just a tear drop shap..no but..no legs...and I really like youre ears. Overall I'd give that a genious mark!

I do have a mold that I got from Michaels - but they are pretty flat so if you are going for 3-D that may not be what you want.

Raisen - I too used mmf only and did not use toothpicks. He fell apart a little as I was putting him on the cake, but I gave his neck a brush of water and stuck his head back on... my eyes and ears were just a little snake that I flattened for the eyes or looped for the ear (and the binki handle part.)

I love what you said and you are right...what's the worst that could happen...squish it up and try again. Good luck!

SarahJane - I love the assume the postition line...too funny!

kymscakes Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 4:33pm
post #12 of 22

I have to say, I don't really want to cover up his body with a blanket, I may just drape it next to him. I like his little feet. I am excited now to sculpt something else. I did think his head looked to big this morning so I pulled it off, pinched a little off the back and shaped him back up, easy as that.

Raisen Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 10:54pm
post #13 of 22

Question...is there a reason you used MMF and not gumpaste? Do you think the gumpaste will be OK to use? I would like for it to dry hard...that way the "mommy to be" can save the baby if she wants too. Plus I will be traveling about one hour in the car.

SLK Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:40am
post #14 of 22

oh yea, gumpaste will be fine....for me mmf is just cheaper to use and I always have it on hand. If I need it to dry stiffer/harder, I usually mix in some tryloce powder in it.

good luck.

Raisen Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 3:50am
post #15 of 22

Here is the baby I came up with...his right arm and rear end seem kind of wrong...but maybe I can cover that with his blanket somehow....I really dont feel like making him over.

SLK Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:00am
post #16 of 22

Hay there, I just commented on your baby before I saw your post here. He is very cute! The good thing about blankets is that they can cover up just about anything! That was the approach I took.

Regarding what you said in the pic description, if you are going for shiny...try to luster dust him with a little alchol mixed in.

The only recommendation I would make is to maybe turn his head down a little more. The way his head is positioned he looks like he would be laying on his back.

Congratulats on a baby well done!

kymscakes Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:16am
post #17 of 22

I love him, I think his eyes work very well. It makes me realize how two different approaches can have a great effect. I love him! Nice work.

SLK Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:30am
post #18 of 22

You got a great point kymscakes....so many different approaches to take...and any one of them works well.

I really like that half circle indented eye. I've got to do another baby shower cake and think I may give that a try...so thanks for the new inspiration.

All this baby talk is giving me a little bit of the baby blues...my baby is not a baby anymore...she's 3 now...

Delcy883 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delcy883 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:54pm
post #19 of 22

Sculpt a baby?

Ouch!

icon_biggrin.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

SLK Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 3:39am
post #20 of 22

I just finished my latest baby shower cake with baby on top...but what I really wanted to share with you was my dd's baby that she did right along side of me. She is 8 and tries everything that I do but adds her own little spin to it- she is quite the decorator.

I've attached her baby here (and mine)...we both went for little detail and covering with a blanket. She wanted to play with a texture mat and went for a multi colored theme......I am very proud of her!
LL
LL

TheCakeSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeSmith Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 4:01am
post #21 of 22

She did better than I probably could! icon_smile.gif

I love reading stories of kids helping, makes me daydream about when my son is older. I hope we can share this too.

kymscakes, I love your baby! His little butt is adorable!

Raisen, your baby is really good too! I love the binky!

kymscakes Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 6:28am
post #22 of 22

i delivered the cake this afternoon, as I mentioned, my first official cake, I could not believe the reception it received! I have to say though, I did not like to give may baby away. I hope nobody took a bite out of his little head, or butt for that matter. It was bittersweet. The completed cake is in my photos, 5 individual birthday cakes due in the morning, lordy, lordy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%