Help, Help Help!! Conrnstarch Off Fondant

Decorating By flavacakes Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 8:55pm by flavacakes

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 23

How do you get cornstarch off of fondant?!?!?! It will NOT wipe off. It's a very important cake so it HAS to come off!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Please help!

22 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 23

I use a slightly damp paper towel, but that might not be the best way to go (and I'm only doing cookies not cakes).

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 23

see if a brisk rub w/ a dry pastry brush won't take care of most of the problem
-------
and that's one reason i always use powdered sugar

then I use a pastry brush to dust it off or work it into the fondant -- usually what little there is will just disappear,

in a worst case scenario, I gently mist the cake with water and use the pastry brush to work the ps into the fondant -- but this comes w/ the possibility of colors running into each other if too wet or too many closely placed details and also spotting.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 23

I always use powdered sugar too, but still have to use a damp paper towel to get it off the fondant.

8Tracie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
8Tracie8 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavacakes

How do you get cornstarch off of fondant?!?!?! It will NOT wipe off. It's a very important cake so it HAS to come off!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Please help!

I've seen Duff airbrush vodka to get the cornstarch off of his cakes. Maybe you could try that?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 23

Try an artist's paintbrush--it may help with the tiny particles because it isn't as coarse as a pastry brush.

I always roll my fondant directly onto parchment paper (lay 2 pieces side-by-side) and I have never had a problem with sticking. I can even lift the whole sheet of paper up to flip the fondant over on top of a large sheet cake.

Yes, the parchment slides around on the table, but it is not as inconvenient as the mess of cornstarch icon_wink.gif

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 23

I usually use ps too, but have used cornstarch. Both have left little bits of white on my fondant sometimes. I just use a small artist brush and dab a tiny bit of water on the spot until it absorbs the water. That usually takes care of the problem. Using vodka sounds like it would work even better since it will dry faster. Good luck!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 23

Poor thing....

Eckkkk, no cornstarch on fondant - eckkkkkk, can't help you as I had this happen on my very first burgandy bow, and have never, ever used anything white and powdered again unless it was pearl dust. Always Crisco.

Good luck and I hope someone has the magic answer.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 23

Airbrush vodka onto it. The cornstarch should dissolve into the fondant, and the vodka will evaporate.

Just don't touch it while it's 'wet'.

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 23

Try using a damp make-up sponge applicator (damp with water) to get in the small areas, and a larger sponge triangle (the kind used by make-up artists) for larger areas. You can 'blow-dry' the fondant if necessary, but leaving it to airdry works fine, just takes time.....sometimes up to a day.
Just remember bleeding is possible if done on really dark colours, that are placed on light colours....
A little patience goes a long way - and remember not to overwet.

BBB1215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BBB1215 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 23

You can lightly brush vodka on the fondant. I have found that water makes a mark on the cake. I made a purse cake with pink and black fondant. I brushed the whole thing with vodka. No streaks or marks. Kind of gave it a shine. Hope this helps.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 23

hmmm...and when airbrushing (oh I wish I had one) all this vodka

open flames are banned, right?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:58pm
post #13 of 23

" all this vodka open flames are banned, right? "
LOL!!! icon_lol.gif

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:02pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

hmmm...and when airbrushing (oh I wish I had one) all this vodka

open flames are banned, right?

Of course, open flames are banned!!!! But the lemon slices and pretzels are abundant... icon_rolleyes.gif

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:53pm
post #15 of 23

Yes, vodka with a paintbrush works great. I've even started lightly going over the whole cake that way for a nice clean finish overall.

gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 10:41pm
post #16 of 23

Brush Brush Brush!!!! (Dry)

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 10:50pm
post #17 of 23

I use Everclear. It does the trick for me. Vodka will work, too.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 10:53pm
post #18 of 23

Vodka and paintbrush - works everytime

However - I started rolling my fondant out on freezer paper (the slick side) and I stopped using ps! I love it because it comes in a wide roll!

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:08pm
post #19 of 23

What is freezer paper and where do you get it?

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:10am
post #20 of 23

Another name for it is butcher paper. You can get it at Wal-Mart. I love this stuff! I also use it when I roll out NFSC dough!

BakeNShake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeNShake Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:20am
post #21 of 23

I spritz a small amount of Vodka or water on the spots that need it and use an artist brush. It works well---and if I use the vodka it doesn't take that long to dry (the water takes a little longer).

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:24am
post #22 of 23

I use vinyl sheets (available any size at Walmart in the fabric section, very inexpensive--look for a large roll) you use just a touch of crisco and I've never had it stick. Then you can lift giant sheets of fondant onto the cake, and then peel it off. Since its available any size you don't have to have multiple sliding pieces to roll on.

I've also seen large sil-pat mats used by the pros, and a couple fellow CC'ers. They are about $35.00, and you can roll it straight on without any powder/grease. One place you can get them is kitchen krafts. You can get a free catalog on their website.

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 8:55pm
post #23 of 23

THanks guys! Well...I couldn't get it all off so my MIL decided to take a damp dish towel and wipe the cake clean. About half of the cake looked fine but then there were TONS of wipe marks that did not dry! I was soooo mad!!! icon_mad.gif I wanted to cry because I worked so hard on the darn thing! It was a purse cake from Confetti Cakes Cookbook. EEEERRRR.

I don't have an airbrush, but next time I'll try the vodka, so do I just mix the vodka in my lemonade and then stir? Do I put the ice in first? icon_lol.gif I will try that with the brush next time. I think I'll try the freezer paper too. It doesn't stick to the freezer paper?

I used to use crisco but I just hate getting everything greasy! I feel like my whole kitchen plus myself is full of grease when I'm done with it! I likeed using cornstarch execpt the problem with it not coming off of the cake. icon_mad.gif I do have a Roul Pat mat but it's just not big enough to roll it out on. And when I did use it, I still had to smear crisco on it. I hope the freezer paper works because that would be nice and clean!

Thanks everyone!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%