What To Do With Cake Pieces?

Baking By paiges Updated 9 Aug 2006 , 12:24am by daltonam

paiges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paiges Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 17

Hello! I had some issues with the cake I made this weekend and I am left with a 10" cake in several chunks. It was so delicious, I hate to throw it out. I vaguely remember someone mentioning using cake leftovers to make something with, but I don't remember what. I'd really appreciate your help! The cake is a kahlua/yellow marbled cake. I also have leftover kahlua bc and chocolate bc. Any ideas? TIA.

16 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 17

I'd make a trifle with the cake.

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 17

I know that a lot of people on here make something called 'cake balls' out of leftover cake pieces. I've never made them myself, so try doing a search on them.

As for the BC, freeze it until you have another order or do some cupcakes.

danrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danrae Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 17

I too have heard that the "cake balls" are very good, though I have not tried it either.

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 17
Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 17

Here's the link for the cake balls recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2099-0-Cake-Balls.html

You can pretty much put anything in them icon_wink.gif I made a batch with white and chocolate scraps, added chocolate chips and cocoa powder, and added triple sec for the liquid and grated orange peel -- going for the chocolate/orange thing. They were delish.

paiges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paiges Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 17

mmm those sounds delicious!! thanks for the great ideas.. as always thumbs_up.gif

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 17

I know cake balls are not an original idea and everyone has their own recipe, but...

The links posted in this thread are my recipe! I have the original Word document I wrote and then copied and pasted into a thread here a year or so back. I juts checked it and it is word for word my recipe.

I'm happy people are using it; that's why I posted it...I would just like to have a little credit (and not have someone elses name on the recipe).

Thanks for letting me vent a little! icon_smile.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 17

i was going to say put it in the processor and make cake crumbs to coat the sides of other cakes BUT after reading that cake ball idea...please do that and not the crumbs

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:40am
post #10 of 17

Toba Garrett makes cake crumbs and mixes them with b'cream. She uses it as a filling and also as a "spackle" that she uses (I believe) as the crumbcoat. It's in her book "The Well-Deocrated Cake". I'm not sure about the spackle part, but it sounds like it would make a delicious filling. thumbs_up.gif

sarzoemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarzoemom Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:47am
post #11 of 17

I like to get some french vanilla icecream and let it soften a bit, then mix the leftover cake and even some frosting in it and then refreezing it. Everybody loves it. I drizzle kalhua over it too.

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 5:57am
post #12 of 17

Oh cookieman. I'm so sorry I didn't know it was you that post the original recipe.

Thank you very much for the recipe. It is great!!
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 6:59am
post #13 of 17

Cookieman, it would be a good idea for you to send a PM to Jackie and/or Heath and show your documentation.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:49pm
post #14 of 17

Alton Brown of "Good Eats" made a "no pan pie" and put cake pieces in the bottom. My husband tried that with some leftover cake we had and it was pretty good. If you go on foodnetwork.com you can find the recipe.

atkin600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atkin600 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 17

Cookieman, I haven't tried the cakeballs, but it sounds terrific!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 11:57pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman

I know cake balls are not an original idea and everyone has their own recipe, but...

The links posted in this thread are my recipe! I have the original Word document I wrote and then copied and pasted into a thread here a year or so back. I juts checked it and it is word for word my recipe.

I'm happy people are using it; that's why I posted it...I would just like to have a little credit (and not have someone elses name on the recipe).

Thanks for letting me vent a little! icon_smile.gif

i don't blame you at all--but i knew that this was your's so i wonder where i read it & i known it for awhile---it's gonna bug me--i'm going to look icon_biggrin.gif be back soon icon_lol.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:24am
post #17 of 17

okay so i'm back, this thread gives cookieman credit for his recipe, i wish that everyone else could know this too---hopefully they will soon thumbs_up.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-1167-balls.html+bites

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%