How Often Do You Use Your Oval Pans?

Decorating By peytonsmommy Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 4:50pm by chelleb1974

peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 13

I officially have my first wedding cake (yay!). It's for a cousin of my mom who is marrying for the 2nd time. It doesn't sound like she was planning on having a big wedding but ended up w/ one anyways lol. The wedding is in (yikes) two and a half weeks. The cake she likes uses oval pans. I have the smallest pan set from the class two but I do not have the others. Around here I can only find the oval pans in a set. I was considering seeing if we could do this cake using rounds instead (which i'm sure she won't care) so I don't have to buy a set of pans, especially considering I already have one of them and I won't be using the biggest one as it's a small wedding. BUT if they're something i'm going to use a lot in the future then I don't mind picking them up. So all that to say, how often do you use those things?

...and would this cake look okay done in rounds instead of ovals:
LL

12 replies
peytonsmommy Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 13

I"m not sure why the picture doesn't show up but if you click on "download" the picture comes up.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 13

ok, me personally, I would say buy them. Especially if it is a place where you can use a 40% off coupon like michaels, HL, or AC Moore. They are great at Easter for making Easter Basket cakes! You will find them useful for much more than you think. When I 1st got mine I didn't think I would use them but now when I have people just order a small birthday or anniversary cake, especially birthdays for women, I use the oval, more classy I think! Plus that wedding cake you have pictured is beautiful and would like pretty in circles, but only stunning in ovals IMO... so if you can save with a coupon, the spend the money, they are worth it!

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 13

I know there is a store here in Indiapolis where you can rent pans. See if you can a store like that in your area.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 13

Personally, I love my oval pans. They make a great base for other cakes (I used the largest, with a character cake on top of it, for a graduation party, and the next smaller one last night for my lighthouse cake). I've also used the smaller one several times. I did already have the small ovals from the course kit, as well, but sometimes it's nice to have extras of certain pans, IMHO.

I think that cake would look fine in circles, but I also love my ovals, so there ya go. I'm no help at all! LOL

If you have an AC Moore nearby, they have a 40% off coupon, online. You have to sign up for the newsletter, but you get coupons each week that way. That has helped me a lot, when getting the pan sets!

good luck, and post pics when you're done. That cake looks great... I haven't tried one like that yet. icon_smile.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 13

I personally havn't found a reason to get them (havn't even used the small set from class. However, I have noticed people on here using the largest one as a 1/4 sheet as a variation and thought that was cool!

I think that you could do the cake round. I have seen some with a similar effect on here.

Stephanie

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 13

I think you can do that cake in rounds and it will still look good.

However, I love buying toys so my take on the oval pans set is, if you get it now, you'll get to use it on this cake, and if you need it again in the future, you'll have it. I have used mine on some baby cakes as well. It just looks a lot more elegant and unique looking than round pans.

peytonsmommy Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for all the input. I think i'm just going to go out and get the pans. First, like pp, I love new cake stuff and I have a gift card left at a cake supply place. After you all mentioned it though, I do find the oval shape very elegant as well.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:41am
post #9 of 13

I've also used the small oval pan (C2) to make a safety-pin cake (did the saftey pin in blue for baby boy). This would work with the larger sizes as well

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:24am
post #10 of 13

I love my oval pans. I use them when I need to do a 'sheet' cake but want to do something different. icon_smile.gif

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 10:16am
post #11 of 13

ive used my oval pans once for a wedding.
the majority of use is for grooms cakes in the shape of a football.

i agree with if you can find a coupon go for it otherwise talk to her.

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 10:47am
post #12 of 13

I've been "in business" for 18 months now, and have never even had the request for an oval shaped cake. However, I keep my coupons from each week's sales papers...just in case. LOL.

Amy

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 13

I have used my C2 ovals for an easterbasket, and like a few other said......oval sheet cakes are classier than rectangular ones!!

I say buy them! Once you have them, you'll find reasons to use them! (This from someone who just bought the hexagon pans and needs reason to use them!!!)

~Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%