School Lunch Vs. Packed Lunch

Lounge By mmdd Updated 7 Aug 2006 , 10:34pm by mmdd

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:21am
post #1 of 14

My oldest is in Kindergarten this year. I was wondering what some pros & cons are to school lunches or packing lunches.

#1. school lunch is so much cheaper in Kindergarten......whats anyone else got to say bout this?

13 replies
desireed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desireed Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:12am
post #2 of 14

Maybe you can do what we do. Both of my school age children are picky eaters. We get the school lunch menu at the beginning of each month and stick it to the fridge. The night before each school day we look at the menu and if they like what they are having at school then they eat there. If they don't like it then we pack a lunch. They have lunch accounts that we "deposit" money into at the beginning of the year. The school sends a notice whenever it gets low. This way we don't have to scramble for money in the morning time. HTH

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:19am
post #3 of 14

There is no price difference in our school lunches for kindergarten. icon_sad.gif My oldest never wanted to buy, so I always packed something for him. My middle is starting kindergarten this year--not sure what he will want to do. I actually don't mind making lunches. I think sometimes that my oldest gets bored with PB&J, bologna and lunchables, but that is all he really wants. With my middle, I know I will be able to work in a lot more variety since he is not that picky of an eater. I may even be able to convince him to buy his lunch somedays.

Anyway, some cons I have seen for bringing school lunches: my oldest would always feed his friends. Would ask for extra saying it was for him. But, his "friends" would also steal his treats. I can't say that he had the best of friends at school.... Sometimes, too, he would bring stuff home and never empty is lunch box--would have a nice mess in the morning when I would make his lunch.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:29am
post #4 of 14

no price differences in our school. I let my daughter pick 1-2 days a month when she can buy lunch. To buy lunch cost $3. I prefer packing her lunch.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:49am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyek

There is no price difference in our school lunches for kindergarten.

how much is it for your school lunches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyek

Sometimes, too, he would bring stuff home and never empty is lunch box--would have a nice mess in the morning when I would make his lunch.

this is the same lovely gift i get from my 11 yr old--i finally told him this year that if it didn't belong to me then DON'T BRING IT HOME thumbsdown.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

no price differences in our school. I let my daughter pick 1-2 days a month when she can buy lunch. To buy lunch cost $3. I prefer packing her lunch.

icon_eek.gif OMG i'd prefer to pack too...our lunches for K-6 grade are all the same & it's $1.50 & i hate paying that for what they get, but i know that it's alot cheaper to buy them. <<<gag>>>

EDITED TO GIVE MY THOUGHTS (DUH)--i think that it will be up to your child, as it is with my son & my DD that's fixing to start this year. I think that i'll be packing her lunch as well.---good luck with school icon_biggrin.gif

mmdd Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 11:35am
post #6 of 14

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm leaning towards packed lunch b/c I konw that we can pack something I know he will eat.

I didn't mean that there was a price difference in school lunches..........I just meant that it's really cheaper than what I thought it's be. We live in a county that has 3 elementary schools in it. I really like this because the classes are a bit smaller than when I went to school in a different county.

His lunches will only be $0.65 each.

I was thinking of getting the menu & sending his lunch with him on certain days that he didn't agree with the school menu, but then I thought I don't want him to have to stop & think about whether he brought his lunch that day or not.

BTW, thanks for the warning about "extras" for friends and bringing things home that don't belong, lol! I've got 2 boys, so...................

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 14

When my oldest went to kindergarten I based my decision on how many kids bring their lunches. He goes to a BIA run school so everyone gets free lunch, I don't want him being the only child in the class who has a bag lunch. I was shocked to find out that they even run a lunch program during part of the summer, they run buses around the reservation to pick kids up. icon_eek.gif

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 14

I have to pack my sons' lunch. Last year I got a note from the teacher saying Alex would only eat the school lunches' desserts. When I asked him about it, he told me that their lunch didn't taste like mine. This year my other son will start Kindergarten icon_cry.gif and I think I'll just pack both of their lunches and not worry with it.

Good luck. I know I'll have to start a support thread on the first day of school! icon_cry.gif

mmdd Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids

Good luck. I know I'll have to start a support thread on the first day of school! icon_cry.gif

I'm right there with you!!!! I'm a first timer, but I'll get to do it next year, too! So, I kiinda feel like it's such a big experience this year being my oldest; and a big experience next year being my baby!

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 14

Just wait til they are in middle school. They offer school lunch and Ala carte--mostly fried food, sugar drinks in bottles and cookies icon_mad.gif

Plus they can debit any amount from their lunch account! So lots of kids are having $5 lunches and such junk food too!

Of course my DS abused his priveleges, so I started only putting $10 in per week, and when it's gone he must pack a lunch.

My kids are so irresponsible they will even go without if they pack a lunch and forget to take it to school. Friends provide life support---maybe your kids missyek icon_wink.gif

[/code]

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 14

I pack their lunches probably out of habit because in their Pre K 3 school you had to send lunch - didn't have a cafeteria. Now like I said it is probably habit but I think that it is actually cheaper for me to pack - their lunches are $3.25.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 6:19pm
post #12 of 14

Here in texas the school isn't allowed to serve fried foods. the french fries and baked so are the chicken nuggets and just about everything else. no sodas are allowed in any of the schools even the high school. no candy is served. and things like french fries are weighed and they only give out something like 4 oz or something like that. at my kids school they don't allow you to just buy french fries. one days that fries are served so is salad. for the school parties you can not bring anything that sugar is the first ingredient. there are only 2 days a year where candy can be handed out. Christmas party and Valentine parties.

i send my kids a packed lunch and a snack for class. most of the time its a sandwich with carrot sticks and a capri sun. with apple sauce or pretzels for a snack. every now and then we get them chips or celery. this year my oldest will be in 4th grade and will have access to a microwave. so he can take soups or hot pockets or really anything he can heat up.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 14

These schools here have all sorts of things for the kids to eat, french fries, tater tots etc etc... but in my opinion most of the lunches are pretty nasty tasting, but the kids love it.
I see something that one of my kids wont eat I pack the lunch for the one that doesnt like whatever.... and I personally don't like that because I think they have a more variety and more nourishing things there in school.. I pretty much let the boys decide if they will eat lunch or not or pack..... and it can be expensive....lunches here (and everywhere I have been) are 1.85..... unless you are of course on reduced lunches.... then it's 40 cent or 65 (depending where). I have 3 boys.... my high schooler can spend 5 bucks for lunch if we let him... but I also hate to have him take lunch.... thats just not "cool" ya know... so I would rather give him 2 dollars everyday so I control what he spends.... NOW for the other two.... we prepay and the school only allows the amount to be what lunch is with no extras... unless they want an extra milk or whatever...

Well now that I am sure I didnt answer your question, good luck... I pretty much let my kids tell me the days they want to take lunch or buy...

mmdd Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 10:34pm
post #14 of 14

I think, for now, I will pack his lunch. In a year or two, and once he's really used to going to school, etc. I will get the menu & let him choose whether or not to pack.

I just kinda want to get him used to one thing right now. Later....when everything isn't so "new", we'll do different things.

Thanks everyone for your opinions!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%