What Is Wrong With My Cake Balls??

Decorating By 29apr00 Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 2:18pm by chelleb1974

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:43am
post #1 of 10

I've made cake balls before and my husband has jsut raved about them!! he loves them more than the regular cake!!

But the last 2 batches i made have been horrible!! It's like they aren't getting frozen enought after they are covered in chocolate. And i can't think of anything that i'm doing differently. The first batch i thought i might have just had too much icing mixed in, so i made extra sure to use less this last time, and even left them in the freezer overnight! And they still didn't set/freeze properly! My sister wants me to do cake balls for her wedding, but i'm nervous because for some reason they aren't turning out properly anymore!! They are like half cooked cake batter! thumbsdown.gif

Any ideas??

9 replies
anorris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anorris3 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:12am
post #2 of 10

How exactly are you making them?

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:23am
post #3 of 10

I've tried a few times and mine turn out kinda gritty, so I'd like to hear any tips also! icon_smile.gif

29apr00 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:31am
post #4 of 10

I follow the recipe i got from here.

I take the cake scraps, crumble them up, then add icing. It isn't exact because i never have the same amout of cake left over! I'd say after it's done, the cake and icing usually look like really thick brownie batter??

Then freeze them atleast 2 hrs, sometimes over night, then dip in chocolate! Freeze until ready to serve. They just aren't getting hard!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:47am
post #5 of 10

mine don't get extremely hard either but we like them that way so we can take them straight from the freezer and serve them icon_biggrin.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:58am
post #6 of 10

The original recipe that was posted here awhile back that I follow does not call for them to be put in the freezer. It says to just let them sit out and dry out a bit before dipping.

I also add just enough liquid/filling to bind it all together but am careful to not oversaturate it. Just enough so that when you make a ball, it sticks.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2099-1-Cake-Balls.html

29apr00 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 10:53am
post #7 of 10
Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:10pm
post #8 of 10

I didn't freeze mine. Just being lazy I guess. I used the liquid coffee creamer, just enough to get the crumbled cake to stick together. They turned out soooo yummy the next day I had to bake a cake just to make cake balls.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 10

I know it says to freeze them, I was just giving you an alternative. I think that one developed later as people starting experimenting. It just seems that freezing just "suspends" or may add to the mushiness once they start to thaw. There are so many ways to do them and there really isn't a right one. It just sounds like you're adding too much binder - in your case, the icing.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 10

The first time I made them they came out to moist - a lot like you're describing (half baked cake). After I rolled them, I put them on a cookie sheet (coud use any pan) and put them back in the oven on 250 for about 10 or so minutes. It dried them up a bit and they were great!!

~Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%