Bunch-A-Mmf ?'s...

Decorating By Princess3 Updated 8 Aug 2006 , 12:17am by patton78

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 24

I have not done anything with MMF or Fondant for that matter. With the MMF is this edible, good tasting? Easy to work with? How much does one batch cover? Is it expensive and do you use the fondant tools? The reason I ask is because I think it is alot of work alone making a cake and decorating it with buttercream. Then to make the mmf, decorate it etc. Is it worth it for those of you who use it? I would like to broaden my work but I am afraid of all the extra cost and time.

23 replies
cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 24

Hi Princess3,

I just made my first two small batches of MMF, one red and one balck, for ladybug cookies I will posting soon in the August Cookie Theme thread.

I found it more difficult to use than regular fondant and really not that much better tasting than Pettinice or Satin Ice brand fondants. (But waaaay better tasting than Wilton's.) My partner even thought the Pettinice was better tasting than the MMF I made.

Bottome line: I will make it again for small batches of cookies I am decorating. But if I am doing a lot of cookies or a cake, I will surely use a commercial brand. Making MMF fondant in large batches is way too time intensive (for me at least) with not nearly enough payoff as I would expect. icon_smile.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 24

MMF is very easy to make and very cheap. I can make a batch for under $2.00. I like the taste of it. I haven't covered alot of cakes with it (It is not a popular thing in this area yet) But I keep sneeking it in on cakes as accents. It gives a few more people a chance to try it without it being on the whole cake. I like modeling things from it-but am not good at it. I have used the fondant tools to make roses and other flowers with it and do like that.

My suggestion would be make the mini- batch of it and play around.

1 cup mini marshmallows
1 TBS water
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar

Heat water and marshmallows in the microwave. Stir to liquid state. Add coloring at this time (if you need all one color this is easier than mixing it in later) add powdered sugar a little at a time until it forms a doughy ball. I mix by hand with a spoon until I can't anymore and then turn out on table and knead in the rest of the sugar. Careful the marshmallows are hot!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 24

I think cookieman makes a good point-for us small timers mmf is a great choice but if you are going to be doing fondant on a regular basis and in volume it would be more efficent to buy it pre-made. At that point I would probably have more strorage area too! icon_wink.gif For me right now,mmf is a great choice.

Princess3 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 24

Thanks for your responses. After it is made. What do you do with it. Let it stand, roll it. I just dont know about it!!! I think it is so pretty but I am almost too scared to try it!!!

NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 24

You can use it right away although I think it is easier to work with after it has rested overnight. Wrap it well and leave it on the counter.

cookieman Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 24

I wrapped mine in Saran wrap then in a zip loc bag and used it the next day. It stayed pliable and fresh and the colors became more vibrant.

jeanair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeanair Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 10:03pm
post #8 of 24

how do you use MMF on cookies?

NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 24

I roll out the MMF thin and cut it with the same cookie cutter I used for the cookies. When the cookies come out of the oven I apply it right then. The hot cookie melts the MMF enough to stick. You get a smooth cookie top to decorate that is the perfect shape and leaves a small trim of cookie showing, because the cookie expands during cooking and the MMF doesn't. You can also apply it with piping gel or corn syrup after the cookie has cooled.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 24

I think MMF is great! As already stated, it is easy to make and it is cheap. You just need to go ahead and make a batch and see what you think. It is really best to make it and then let it sit overnight. A good tip...while working with the MMF, you can stick it in the microwave for several seconds if it gets to hard to work with. This makes it much more pliable and really helps when mixing in coloring.
When I have used MMF with cookies, I just roll out the MMF, cut the shape I need and put it on the cookie.

dodibug Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 11:02pm
post #11 of 24

Make sure you check out the article on the homepage for great directions to making and working with mmf.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 11:08pm
post #12 of 24

I have never made the MMF either and wondered if you could add flavoring to it to? Would this change the consistency of it? Can you add gumtex to it later for gumpaste flowers? Just curious.... icon_confused.gif

dodibug Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 11:15pm
post #13 of 24

The recipe in the article on the homepage uses vanilla but I have used almond and other extracts and they work just fine!

cookieman Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 12:31am
post #14 of 24

Brushing cooled cookies lightly with just plain old water also makes fondant (MM and commercial kinds) stick just as well as anything else. It's cheaper than piping gel and corn syrup...and it's always available!

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 12:40am
post #15 of 24

Once I roll out the mmf can you cut a pattern with a knife? I am giong to do the onesie cake. Or batter for scissors? Help! icon_smile.gif

sugarbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbaker Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:24am
post #16 of 24

I have a question along the same line...I just made my first batch of mmf yesterday, let it rest overnight and was planning on putting on cookies today. However, once I got it rolled out and the shape cut...it would stretch out of shape and not fit the cookie right. As far as the taste I thought it was VERY sweet. Did I do something wrong?? After reading so many great things about it I guess I thought it would be easier...of course it might be "user error". If anyone has any suggestions feel free to let me know..

mookey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookey Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:34am
post #17 of 24

I have never made the MMF either and wondered if you could add flavoring to it to? Would this change the consistency of it?
i have always added about a tsp of vanilla to mine and never had any problems with it. i love mmf because it is so easy to make and to work with, i have heard some complaints about it being to sweet, but who ever heard of something being too sweet.....lol. icon_lol.gif i think it tastes great and love to use it i am still a newbiw myself and have just done my first order cake, but i have played around with the mmf a lot and would never use regular fondant again (yuch) best of luck to you, hope it works out well. i have a feeling youll love it too...... icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Nexus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nexus Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:20am
post #18 of 24

I actually dared to step foot into MMF territory!
And I made tiny taste test batches and flavored it myself with well a few things. one was vanilla/butter flavoring(much like my BC) and the other with a cherry. Of course I didn't measure fully i wanted to see how it'd work and stuff. AND IT PASSED the taste test as far as my bf and his brother go. (which is a good thing, they hated me after i made them a wilton fondant cake! icon_eek.gif )

patton78 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 11:48am
post #19 of 24

Sugarbaker, it sounds like your MMF did not have enough powdered sugar added to it, thus causing it to be too stretchy. You may also have rolled it too thin?

LisaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBa Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 6:26pm
post #20 of 24

I am going to try my hand at cookies for the first time soon. I have been trying to decide which frosting I will use and I have questions using mmf. If you cover the cookie with mmf and you want to use accent colors, (ie. bikini with polka dots) do you use royal icing at that point over the mmf? Does that look to thick? Does the royal sit up on top of the mmf? I am making any sense? OPINIONS?????

Princess3 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 9:13pm
post #21 of 24

What is used to color mmf? The same as you would use with the bc? I wish I could watch someone do it so I could understand better!!!I think I might as well stick to buttercream and royal icing. But I want to try it. I dont own any fondant tools either.

adams2shop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adams2shop Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 9:18pm
post #22 of 24

I made MMF for the first time yesterday. I should have referred to this topic thread for the tip on microwaving for a few seconds when it got a little stiff, but it still worked great. I colored it using the Americolor gels--and of course got it all over my hands. Since I just made one big batch of MMF and wanted several different colors, this worked ok, but I learned from another topic thread that coloring the melted marshmallows first will color the whole batch better/easier (seems like a "duh" idea now, but I know I don't think of these things myself--I find them all out here).

dodibug Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 10:35pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess3

What is used to color mmf? The same as you would use with the bc? I wish I could watch someone do it so I could understand better!!!I think I might as well stick to buttercream and royal icing. But I want to try it. I dont own any fondant tools either.

Have you looked at the article on the homepage? It has great pics in the how-to. And I have found you don't really need fondant tools per se. Use things around the house to get different effects. But if you wanted tools, wait for a 40% coupon at Micheals would bring the cost of a set down to about $6.
You can use the same colors that you use for bc. Americolors are my favorite.

patton78 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:17am
post #24 of 24

Just use the same thing you use to color BC for MMF. It takes a while to knead it all in but it is worth it. You really do not need special tools for MMF, just give it a try, you will love it!
You can put MMF on cookies and then pipe royal icing over that if you wish, it looks great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%