Portfolio Pics How Do I Get Some?

Business By lauramw71 Updated 6 Aug 2006 , 9:14pm by Molliebird

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there! I took Wilton classes 1 and 2 a few years back. I'm just getting back into doing cakes. I've done a few and DEFINATELY need more practice. Wasnt able to take the course 3 so i have NO experience in fondant, or layering or tiers or ANYTHING wedding related. And just the thought of it terrifies me! lol
What's the best way to get some good pics. Do I make like a bazillion different cakes to get practice? Give them all away to neighbors? LOL
We had a block party here last night. I made a "rendition" of a cake I found here and think it turned out pretty good. Hoping that that will get me some requests. Im in a VERY small town and the ONE store here in town doesnt do many cakes.
Anyone have any advice how to get this moving?

Thanks!
Laura
LL

3 replies
lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 4

well, you can practice techniques and all that on a practice board, and once you have those down, make the actual cakes. that way you can use less ingredients while still learning techniques.

as for the cakes, yeah, make a lot of them! or else you could invest in some cake dummies and keep redecorating those. personally i like real cakes though, i think they're yummy and you can hand them out to let people know what you do.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 4

It took me a while to get alot of pictures. I just volunteer to do birthday cakes and I volunteer at school as the Hospitality Chairperson so I get to do alot for that. Last month I did 6 cakes for the school. Take them to church and other functions as you can. It is amazing how the word gets out!

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 4

Every time I bake and decorate a cake, I take a picture of it. Slowly but surely you build a portfolio of cakes. You can even put in practice cakes. I make practice cakes and bring them in to my co-workers. It helps get a few orders here and there and I can add the pictures to my album.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%