People.com's 52 Wedding Cakes For 52 States

Decorating By sheena16 Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 4:41pm by ShortcakesSweets

sheena16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena16 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:41am
post #1 of 35

I stumbled upon this photo gallery on People magazines website. icon_surprised.gif Here's the link:

http://www.people.com/people/package/gallery/0,,20042118_20041107,00.html

They are amazing. I live in Pennsylvania and that cake is over $2,000!!!

Some of them are amazing and others are just ordinary, but they are all interesting.

Take a look!!

Susan icon_razz.gif

34 replies
cupcakegirl27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl27 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:00am
post #2 of 35

I found the range of the prices really interesting.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:45am
post #3 of 35

So did I. Some were priced around $200 that could easily have gone for more, others $1000 plus that were just ordinary...

I have a hard time believing those are the best cakes from some of those states. How did they decide.

One of the worst ones was Duff's (Maryland).
I really liked the decorations but the fondant was really messy - bulges all over the place - and the tiers weren't even level! Huh?????

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:56am
post #4 of 35

I thought the one from West Virginia was nice.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:47am
post #5 of 35

Cool link! I loved reading the flavors as much as seeing the cakes.

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 35

Wow...those are the best cakes? I only looked at 20 of them, but geez, some of them were really ugly. I liked the cake from Hawaii and I actually did like Duffs cake. I certainly wouldn't have thought they were the best cakes though... icon_confused.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 35

You know what I loved about all those? They are all such fun and different flavor combinations! I'm so glad people don't feel the need to just do plain white cake anymore. I have three daughters and I look forward to making their wedding cakes because I know they'll want to be as creative as I am! (I'm banking on that whole "Apple doesn't fall to far from the tree" thing.) icon_lol.gif

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 35

The flavors of the cake from Hawaii sounds soooo goooood.....thanks for the link!

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 35

Yummy..........I agree with the flavor thing. I actually liked Duff's cake, didn't really care for the cake from Wisconsin, and I have looked at her site and feel she has sooo many better cakes........I wonder what criteria they used to pick them.........

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 35

The Arkansas cake was done by a CC'er - cakesbysam! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykittie

Wow...those are the best cakes? I only looked at 20 of them, but geez, some of them were really ugly. I liked the cake from Hawaii and I actually did like Duffs cake. I certainly wouldn't have thought they were the best cakes though... icon_confused.gif

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that! Some were sooo neat and then others were, well....how do you say.....you're right, kinda ugly. icon_confused.gif

I think CC should submit a 50 state cake album from the experts right here! Wouldn't that be fun!!!

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 35

The cake from Virginia was $4300!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif It is very pretty and unique but, WOW! I need a class on pricing from them. icon_lol.gif

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:17pm
post #13 of 35

Several of those cakes are by CCers..Congrats to all.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:20pm
post #14 of 35

Just so you guys know, a few of those cakes were done by fellow CCers. icon_smile.gif

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-347743-magazine.html

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:22pm
post #15 of 35

Wow! The my state cake (TN) is so cute! However, since I live in rural TN I doubt anyone around here would pay $1400 for a wedding cake.....I have a hard time getting more than $250. Ha!

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:22pm
post #16 of 35

52? Huh?

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:23pm
post #17 of 35

Thanks for the link....had fun looking at them. A lot of those cakes might be done by CC members. Who knows! I loved that each one was quite different. Very cool! Congratulations to all of those picked icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:20pm
post #18 of 35

HI! I'm new here.
My cake is the one from KY.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:37pm
post #19 of 35

I looked at all the cakes and I think also that it is not Duff's best cake and also for the state of Oklahoma that there are better bakers then OKsugar although I have seen her website and I think she does have better cakes than the onee listed on the site in fact the picture on the website is horrible here's the picture of the same cake on her site, much better
http://oksugar.com/view_image.asp?image_id=190&bk=category%5Fid%3D2%26pr%3D2&cn=Wedding+Cakes

I love her work but I think Ruth's Sweete Justice and Cake and Candy Connections are also as talented or better. That's just my personal taste in cakes.
An I know the owner of Cake and Candy Connection so I just like them better.

Anyhow congratulations to all hope to be in your shoes someday!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:43pm
post #20 of 35

Welcome leahs your cake is beautiful! I think all the cakes are awesome. I can't believe the price range though!

leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:47pm
post #21 of 35

Thanks! That was a small cake--6/8/10. And it wasn't my first choice . . .

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:54pm
post #22 of 35

Ooh, a celebrity in our midst! Welcome, Leah!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sandra80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandra80 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:56pm
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by randipanda

52? Huh?

50 + DC and puerto rico, i assume.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:58pm
post #24 of 35

Nope, there are only 50 pics and descriptions.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:00am
post #25 of 35

Thanks for the welcome. This certainly seems like a nice place. I'm glad I found you!

delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:05am
post #26 of 35

It's pretty funny...even Duff has cakes that do not look spectacular. I have my off days, and it is good to see that someone else does too. It looks like the fondant on his cake is not smoothed out.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:14am
post #27 of 35

Welcome to Leah & congrats on your cake. The range of proces blew my mind. Some of those cakes should have been a lot more & some should have been a lot less. I did enjoy looking. Thanks for sharing.

leah_s Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:21am
post #28 of 35

I got a number of emails after people saw the price. Everyone tells me I need to raise my prices. But in fairness, that was a pretty small cake.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:22am
post #29 of 35

Leah, your cake is one of my favorites. I love the flavor combo and the beautiful fall arrangement. Very nice! Welcome.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:23am
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykittie

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that! Some were sooo neat and then others were, well....how do you say.....you're right, kinda ugly. icon_confused.gif

I think CC should submit a 50 state cake album from the experts right here! Wouldn't that be fun!!!

Me too! Some of them looked like beginners. I don't think it was a true representation of the "best" of each state. Some of them, however, were wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%