My First Cake---Problems, Please Help!

Decorating By mellybrown Updated 6 Aug 2006 , 2:48pm by Sweetpeeps

mellybrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellybrown Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,
I am taking a wilton cake class and made my first cake last night with their decorator's icing....I used shortening, meringue powder, water and vanilla. I chose violet as my cake color and added yellow flowers and kelly green stems. I did not refrigerate the cake overnight, I left it in an airtight cake saver on the countertop.
I looked at the cake this morning and noticed little green dots in the violet icing.....since I am so new to this, I am worried that it is mold. Could it be the icing "bleeding"?
PLEASE help! I am bringing this cake to my Mother's house and I have some very critical family members...I want to be sure to have an answer before serving this cake to others!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
Sincerely,
Mel

5 replies
DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 6

Did you put salt in your icing? If you did and you didn't dissolve the salt in water before you add it to your icing, the granuals of salt can cause the colors to change. I doubt it is mold...it can keep unrefrigerated for a few weeks so I can't see it happening over night. I've had icing get color dots in it before, and my instructor told us that salt would do that, it causes a wierd chemical reaction! I'm sure it's fine... good luck!

mellybrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellybrown Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 6

No, I didn't use any salt...thanks, though!!!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 6

No, it's not mold. It's just the color bleeding through a bit. Yes, a weird chemical reaction that gives cakes a mind of their own sometime.
And, if someone criticizes, jokingly follow my first rule of cake...if you criticize, (though constructive criticism is okay, of course!), NO CAKE FOR YOU!

hspree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hspree Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 6

I had the same thing happen to me during Course I and I don't put salt in my bc either. But it's definitely not mold. I just try to mix the colors up really, really well and it's not happened to me in quite a while now.

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 6

Maybe your color didn't mix all the way through. I'm sure it's not mold. You can leave all crisco buttercream icing out for quite a while without it going bad. You could always taste a little bit of the icing in a spot that wasn't noticeable if you are really worried about.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%