Royal Icing Runout Help!

Decorating By kaylascakes Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 1:36pm by DianeLM

kaylascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylascakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 5

im trying to do a royal icing runout or flooding kinda like a fbct. im doing it on baking paper and even though it comes off easily it comes off in bits. any tips on how to get it off altogether tia Kayla x

4 replies
vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:10am
post #2 of 5

What is baking paper? Are you referring to parchment paper? I've done mine on sheet protectors and it comes off very easily with no breakage.

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:54am
post #3 of 5

You have to let them dry for at least 24 hours or more, then the chance of breakage is not so big anymore. I think that maybe you took them off too soon.. (??)

I also make them on a sheet protector but I have also done them on baking paper (or parchment paper, I don't know what the word is).

Good luck!!

Lara

annethered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annethered Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 5

I've aways used waxed paper to do my royal icing runouts - but I have discovered I haven't got any. So parchment paper will do?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 5

I do A LOT of royal figures. You can see some of them in my gallery.

I highly recommend using plastic wrap (Saran). Your figures will literally FALL off. As for the breakage, it sounds like a couple of things: First, you may not have beaten the royal long enough. It needs at least 10 minutes - up to 15 if it's really humid; a little bit of grease may have been in your mixing bowl, preventing the royal from ever reaching its optimum strength; you may be thinning your flood too much. When a ribbon of royal dropped back into the bowl disappears within a FULL count of ten, it's ready. If it disappears before 10, it's too thin and won't be strong; lastly, you may be piping your figures too thin. For outlines and the main filling, use nothing smaller than tip 2. You can use tip 1 for details that aren't part of the main structure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%