Fondant Tucking And Gluing

Decorating By smbegg Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 4:10am by rcs

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 6

I have a few questions. First, when you cover a cake in fondant, how do you end it? I mean do you tuck the fondant under the board or do you just stop it at the very bottom? If you tuck it, is there a problem with the cake being level?

Second, when using RI to "glue" how does that work? On my Teletubbie cake, I "glued" my windows on with RI and they just slid around. I finally pinned them with toothpicks and took out once I had the BC on. So what type of RI do you use and I assume that you use it thick? How long does it take to dry?

I am making a castle cake and I am planning on gluing my Towers to the cake because I have to transport it accross town.

Stephanie

5 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 6

I cut the fondant so it is flush to the board, not under it. The end gets covered usually with the bottom border. On a castle cake, I would place grass to hide it.

I use the RI recipe from Wilton. Just use a small dab on the back of the piece that you want to glue and hold it in place for a few seconds to adhere. Once you let go of it, it should already be stuck to the cake.

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 6

I am an amateur cake decorater, but I was always taught to "wet" the fondant with colorless vanilla.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 6

Ditto Miriel!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 6

I use water or piping gel to glue my fondant.....and I cut the end of my fondant, I dont tuck and/or roll it....just cut it off flush with the biard....use a nice border that goes with whatever your doing to hide the bottom....and if theres wrinkles or 'bad' spots, I bring my border upicon_wink.gif

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:10am
post #6 of 6

I also use just a little water to "glue" my fondant and cut it flush with the board. The border gives the finished edge and yes, can cover some imperfections!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%