12 X 18 Sheet Cake --Questions

Decorating By ashlymomx2 Updated 8 Aug 2006 , 3:47am by sdanczak

ashlymomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlymomx2 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 12:59am
post #1 of 19

please help me CC!!

I don't have the insert for my 12x18 Wilton pan...and I need to know, how many cups of batter to put in. I want to try and get the full 2 inches. So...is it 1/2 full, or 2/3 full, or is it better to go by cup amount. Or how many box cake mixes...??

Also, should I put 1 or 2 flower nails to help bake even?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I need help! icon_eek.gif

18 replies
kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:04am
post #2 of 19

I use 15 cups, or 3 DH cake mixes.

petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:04am
post #3 of 19

I used two flower nails and it was very level!! Also I used 3 cake mixes, but wished I had used 4. On my instruction sheet it says 14 cups of batter. Hope this helps. Take care and good luck.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:07am
post #4 of 19

it takes 3 mixes I use DH too.

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:17am
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitesweet

I used two flower nails and it was very level!! Also I used 3 cake mixes, but wished I had used 4. On my instruction sheet it says 14 cups of batter. Hope this helps. Take care and good luck.

So your 3 mixes didn't fill it up?????? What brand did you use???? I use DH. I have to make 2 12x18's next weekend. I want to full.
I might do 3 mixes and 1 extender.....

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:25am
post #6 of 19

I use ONE recipe of the White Sour Cream Almond white cake (which uses only 2 cake mixes) and one flower nail (and bake at 325) and it fills the pan perfectly. There are variations for other flavors for that recipe too.

petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:34am
post #7 of 19

I'm afraid I use an off brand available here in MO and it doesn't seem to rise as well as the name brands. So, that is why I use that many. Sorry I didn't include this info.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:36am
post #8 of 19

hi, i use three cake mixes. (bake from scratch) i also colar my pans with parchment. otherwise it spills over in the oven and makes a big MESS. I have never tried the flower nail thing but next time i will.

JoMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoMama Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 4:06am
post #9 of 19

I have not baked in a pan larger than 11 x 15, and, sometimes I have trouble with the center getting done like I want. I have seen those metal cores, and, can't seem to find directions on how to use them. Do you somehow bake the cake with that thing in the middle? I use the bake even strips on my pans. Can someone explain the flower nail idea and placement of those?

mlehrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlehrich Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 4:19am
post #10 of 19

I bake three cake mixes normally but if you want a tall cake - line the pan sides with parchement paper so it sticks up about 1 inch from the top. Then you can put in four cake mixes and it works great with little to no leveling. If you do four without the paper - it will flow over the sides.

tastycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycake Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 19

JoMama- You can use flower nails put in your pan upside down (so the flat part is on the bottom of the pan) to help cook the cake more evenly. I haven't had the best of luck with that-so I use an empty can (whatever I have in the house) I just take off both ends and use the non-stick spray on the inside and outside. It works just like a baking core but doesn't cost anything extra! It really helps get the center done better so you don't end up with hard edges.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 7:39pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastycake

JoMama- You can use flower nails put in your pan upside down (so the flat part is on the bottom of the pan) to help cook the cake more evenly. I haven't had the best of luck with that-so I use an empty can (whatever I have in the house) I just take off both ends and use the non-stick spray on the inside and outside. It works just like a baking core but doesn't cost anything extra! It really helps get the center done better so you don't end up with hard edges.

when you remove the can, does it remove the cake in the can too? if so, what do you do, just put it back?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 11:48am
post #13 of 19

I use 3 mixes and the Wilton strips. The cake rises about 1/4 to 3/8" higher than the pan. No parchment paper collar needed. I only use cake grease (i.e. "Cake Release")..... no flour, and the cakes rise higher, straighter. I also only use Betty Crocker. Tried DH once and ..... well ...... let's just say I only tried that brand once.

tastycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycake Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 10:36pm
post #14 of 19

As long as you put nonstick spray on the inside of the can, the cake in there should just push out (might have to run around the inside of the can with a knife first)...then I just put it back in the center of the cake and frost over it.

JoMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoMama Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 11:37pm
post #15 of 19

Thanx, Tastycake. I appreciate any help I can get. I always fret over the centers. Since, I don't have any formal cake decorating training, I'm a nervous Nellie. I will definitely try this on my next cake.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 11:44pm
post #16 of 19

Hi!!
ok my question now..
when I make my 11 x 15 I use four cake mixes.. If I ice with cool whip, I can get it about 3 1/2 inches tall.. If I use buttercream it will be right at 4 inches.. So if I want my 12 x 18 cake to be 4 inches high.. Would I bake 3 cake mixes twice to get a big 4 inch cake (layering it with out torting it) ?? my pan is 12x18x2.. TIA

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 11:56pm
post #17 of 19

Sorry, I have a stupid question. What is an extender?[/quote]

MantMarf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MantMarf Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 12:17am
post #18 of 19

I used the cake nail thing(actually I OVER did it and used 4, place evenly around the pan) and it was GREAT!! When you flip the cake, to cool it, they just POP out. Also, I have read that you can add 1-2 tablespoons of mirangue(bad speller-me) powder to stiffen/stablize the cake batter. Hope this helps.

sdanczak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdanczak Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 3:47am
post #19 of 19

I make this size cake frequently and always use 3 mixes. I also use two flower nails and off-center both off them and that works very nice as well. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%