"just Thought I'd Throw A Little Business Your Way...&q

Business By cakesbyamym Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 12:06am by notjustcake

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 13

Okay, here is a little humor for your day...Enjoy! LOL.

I'm playing with the kids in between orders baking...phone rings...

"Hello?"

"Um, yes, this is so-and-so, and I would like to order a bd cake from you. I've had the chance to taste your cakes on a couple of occasions lately, and I WANT you to bake my daughter's bd cake."

"Well, I appreciate the comments so much. What do you have in mind?"

"Well, this is the thing..."

Immediately, I KNOW something is up...

"I really want a castle cake, but I don't want to pay the prices that you have on your website. I was wondering if we can work something out...you know, a sort-of discount?"

I told her that I don't operate like that. This is a business, just as any other, only I am operating from my home. There is NO bargaining when it comes to my prices. They are what they are and are adjusted depending on the detail, etc., of the individual order.

"Okay, I guess that I'll go to Sam's. I just thought I'd throw a little business your way."

This ticks me off!!! I proceed to tell the lady that I am actually having NO problems with lack of business. I'm booked up for the next three weeks. No openings...blah, blah, blah...

You know, without going into even greater detail...I just thought that you'd all enjoy a quick laugh...at my expense...So, how about that "sympathy" order? LOL.

Enjoy!
Amy

12 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 13

Hahahahahaha. Ok, first of all, I looked at your web site and your cakes are great, and prices MORE than reasonable.

Second of all...would she try that cr@p at the car mechanic? The beauty parlor? The gas station? "I really like your gas, but I don't want to pay those prices you have posted."

I guess it could fall under the heading of "you never know if you don't ask", but really, how rude. Couldn't she have just said "I'm on a budget of X amount, can you tell me what I can get for that?".

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 13

"Enjoy your cardboard, here's their number..".. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Now, I know the guys and gals working in the Sam's and Walmart bakeries work HARD for their money. Given that little amount of time to plunk out cakes is NOT easy work. But, for $15 she's going to get what she pays for.

cakesbyamym Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 13

I thought you all would enjoy that. What I didn't go into further detail to explain is that the cake she wanted from my site (I have categories with numbers for easy ordering), was the 1/2 sheet cake with the candy melt, decorated castle standing in the background and a RI tiara dusted in pearl dust...all for the unbelievably low price of $20!!! Yes, folks, $20. I told her that that would barely cover MY expenses...supplies, water, electricity, time, etc. I'm not knocking ANYONE else's cakes...not Sam's, or anyone elses, but I told her that a 1/2 sheet with just roses at Sam's would be more than $20...a 1/4 would be more than that. Seriously!!! Furthermore, it was nice to say that I'm not hurting for business, and I'm actually having to turn away customers due to my full schedule. "Thought I'd throw you a little business..." LOL. No haggling over prices here. They are what they are. icon_smile.gif

KellyM...thanks for the compliments on my EXPENSIVE cakes. icon_smile.gif LOL.

Amy

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 13

That's funny!! You just made my day icon_lol.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 13

I like the way you handled this! There is no way she's gonna get anything close to your castle cake for $20! OMG some people. Why do people think that just because we don't have a storefront that we must be begging for business and willing to lose money just to make them a cake?

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 13

So she wanted you to lose money just so you could say you had her order? LOL Too funny!

Yes doctor, my kids are sick, but I don't like your prices. . . lol!

peytonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peytonsmommy Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 13

$20 huh? The Kroger store down the street from me charges $22 for a 1/4 sheet w/ a few roses on it, and quite frankly, doesn't taste all that great! Of course, if you ask my Dh what a cake "should" cost he'd probably guess $20 too because he's just that clueless lol.

I just checked your site and how amazing it must be to have all of your weekends booked up this year w/ weddings!! I think i'd probably pass out from excitement. I keep going back and forth on whether this is actually going to work as a side business and whether i'll really be able to get orders just doing this on the side of my FT job and you give me hope! Now, I just have to get myself some dummy cakes so I can get some pictures taken!

Zombiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zombiecakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 13

Hmm, I'm wondering how doing her cake at a loss qualifies as "business"? icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirly

Hmm, I'm wondering how doing her cake at a loss qualifies as "business"? icon_lol.gif

LOL! Oh now that's priceless!

I'm always amazed at the folks who think if they give us a compliment (empty or otherwise) that we'll just SWOON for the "opportunity" to make a cake for them.

I like the ones who try to tell you how much exposure you'll get when your (free) cake is seen by all of those wedding guests. Hate to tell ya this, Elroy, but my cake will be seen by all of those wedding guests when you pay me for it, too!

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:52pm
post #11 of 13

cakesbyamym, I checked out your cakes and they're awesome! How do you get your writing so good? Is the buttercream really runny? My writing never comes out so smooth and pretty like yours.

cakesbyamym Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks, Malike. Re: writing...the butter cream is the same texture what I use to ice, make roses, etc. It's not runny by any means. If nothing else, my icing is a firm, yet soft icing. Guess I'm not much help, huh? Sorry!

Amy

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:06am
post #13 of 13

I am so laughing about to pee in my pants!!!! Aren't you glad people think of you...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%