A Special First Birthday Cake!

Decorating By alicia_froedge Updated 19 Jun 2007 , 3:02pm by alicia_froedge

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 15

I'm making my best friend's daughter's birthday cake and I want it to be so special!!! Looking at some in the gallery I have an idea of what she likes. It will be three tiered and all buttercream with fondant butterflies. I'm attaching a picture of a crib set that I'm using as my inspiration. I'm looking for ideas for teirs and any special ideas that reflect delicacy, beauty, and grace. She likes the color combos of pink and green. Thanks for all your help!!
LL

14 replies
alicia_froedge Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 15

this is the second crib set I'm using for ideas.
LL

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 15

This cake, done by JoanneK, is beautiful and in my favorites. I love the colors pink and green together. Hopefully it will give you some ideas. There are no butterflies on it, but I'm sure you could add some.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_656963.html

HTH

Jen

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 15

I love the crib set! My daughter just turned 1 in March and I did a tiered cake for her in fun colors. I used buttercream icing and mmf decorations. I think the green in the crib set would make a beautiful base color for the tiers and use pink, yellow, purple, etc. for the butterflies. If you have an impression mat, you can even add texture to your tiers and make them look quilted.

BTW, where in southern Indiana are you located? Just curious as a fellow Hoosier and Colts fan!

alicia_froedge Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHall

I love the crib set! My daughter just turned 1 in March and I did a tiered cake for her in fun colors. I used buttercream icing and mmf decorations. I think the green in the crib set would make a beautiful base color for the tiers and use pink, yellow, purple, etc. for the butterflies. If you have an impression mat, you can even add texture to your tiers and make them look quilted.

BTW, where in southern Indiana are you located? Just curious as a fellow Hoosier and Colts fan!

I'm in Seymour half way between Indy and L'ville!! Where are you??

alicia_froedge Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 15

I'm wondering if I should make them 4" or 3" cakes??

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 15

What a great idea to use crib sets as inspiration for your cakes! I like that!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 15

I love those crib sets! So beautiful! I would definately make your bottom tier the green and the second the pink. Creative cutters has an impression mat that has butterflys on it. I think if you did that with one of the tiers but use a super pearl dust on it so that it just looks quilted. Then the bottom layer I would add some of the flowers. Then put pink pears around the layers. Then maybe the top you could do a number and butterflys sitting on it and the top tier.

writer_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writer_mom Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 15

You could also use quilling techniques to make the butterflies and flowers out of pastel shades of fondant. I always think quilling looks so delicate and beautiful on cakes.

DCHall Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 15

I'm in Seymour half way between Indy and L'ville!! Where are you??[/quote]

I'm in Paoli, not far from you.

alicia_froedge Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 15

I like the quilt idea...what about gingham??

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 15

take a look in my gallery at my whimsy... it was easy, and fun icon_smile.gif it was inspired off of this site too icon_smile.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:42pm
post #13 of 15

I tried a gingham rubber stamp yesterday and it works pretty well on fondant. You could do that too!

DCHall Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:46pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

I tried a gingham rubber stamp yesterday and it works pretty well on fondant. You could do that too!

How did you do that? Did you make "ink" out of food colors and stamp it?

alicia_froedge Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:02pm
post #15 of 15

What a neat idea!! But it probably won't work on BC will it??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%