How To Transport Fragile Fondant Decorations (Off Cake)?

Decorating By ceshell Updated 8 Aug 2006 , 5:49pm by kjgjam22

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 8:00am
post #1 of 14

I finally figured out the gold coloring of my fondant letters -yeah! (note to all: shimmer dust is NOT the same as luster dust. Ack!)

Now, I need to get them to the cake. A plain cake was ordered from a supermarket (don't ask) and will be at the bridal shower on Sunday. The MOH is decorating it with flowers, chocolate shells and ribbon, and I'm bringing the letters. Any suggestions as to the best way to get these letters there, without risking their destruction? In the center of the photo is a toothpick, so you get an idea of their size.

I'm worried they'll slide around into each other in any old container, and I don't know what to put them onto to ensure they don't stick to something...although they're pretty darned dry by now so perhaps that's no longer a risk?

Thoughts, suggestions? Any additional tips about getting them onto the cake without snapping them in half would be appreciated too!
LL

13 replies
cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 8:27am
post #2 of 14

This is only a thought!
2 cake boards - make a sandwich with 2 pieces of that thin foam wrapping stuff in the boards. The rubbery foam stuff shouldn't let them move. Then just tape it together or something to keep it together.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 9:34am
post #3 of 14

Try putting them on the foamy shelf paper that has little holes in it. They won;t slide around. I use it under my cake boards when I transport a cake so it doesn;t move.

Your letters look fantastic...l

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 10:28am
post #4 of 14

I wrap mine in tissues and lay them between kitchen towel - just one bit around each letter should be fine. Love the colour - what dust have you used?

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 14

They are on wax paper so try to slide them onto a flat cookie sheet or the back of one if it has the lip. Try placing bubble wrap--small bubble kind over the top and tape down on the 4 sides with a piece of scotch tape.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 14

You got some great ideas here.

Just wanted to say I love the letters! They turned out great!

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 14

Love how the lettering turned out! As for transporting ... the non-slip kitchen 'paper' is a wonderful product for cake decorators - I use it all the time. Especially for transporting cupcakes - line a sheet box with some and put the cupcakes on it and they won't slide around and into each other.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 14

Your letters turned out great! Please post a picture of the decorated cake!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 14

All the ideas are great, so I'm not much help! But I wanted to say that your letters are so beautiful!!! good job thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:46pm
post #10 of 14

Wow....your letters look great. I just did this with a bunch of fondant decorations for a wedding cake that had to travel 5 hours to the location. What I did was place the items in a good "tupperware" type container adn lined it with gift basket packaging (the type that looks like shredded crinkly paper). It worked great. Everything arrived in great shape with no damages. I plan on using this technique again. Good luck with it and be sure to post pics of the final product.

icon_smile.gif

ceshell Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I will definitely look into all of them, just see which products are most easily found, whether foam, bubble wrap, kitchen paper, etc.

You've all made me feel a little more secure that now that these puppies are truly dry, they don't have to be on wax paper any more. My last cake I made (not in my gallery yet) I did 3D fondant fishies and seaweed, which I transported to the event to finish decorating there, and the fondant hadn't been quiiiiiiiite dry yet so they HAD to be on wax paper. I felt it was a miracle that they didn't all destroy each other in the tupperware, but I was afraid they'd glue themselves to any other surface.

Thanks for the positive feedback about the letters! My first time trying "noodle letters" out of fondant. Totally inspired by any number of cakes here on this site. I will definitely post a pic of the finished cake. Won't it be ironic if, after all this, the MOH decides not to use lettering? (She considered it "optional"). Oh well if that's the case I will put them on the cake board!

As for the color, actually they are more "gold" and not quite as "bronzey" as the pic - photo altered the color a bit. But the dust was Pfiel & Holing Gold Sparkle Dust; that's just what the local cake store stocked.

Thanks!

ceshell Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:26am
post #12 of 14

The letters made it! Phew! Here's the finished cake. It's nothing to write home about but we were pleased. The orchids are real and the MOH bought the white chocolate gold-dusted seashells. I loved making those letters, can't wait to do it again!

By the way for anyone complaining their own cakes aren't perfect enough, check out the bottom edge of that cake--could it be any less straight?!
LL

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:33am
post #13 of 14

Your letters look wonderful on the cake! After all the colouring problems you should be very pleased with how they turned out! Great job!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 8 Aug 2006 , 5:49pm
post #14 of 14

The letters look great....what mthod of transport did you go with? i didnt see this posted but next time you can put them on foam that is in a tupperware of something. that will transpot them well. sometimes i put mu wedding cakes on the foam and the foam absorbs the shock of the roads and not your cakes. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%