Gritty Icing Again - I Know I Am Beating The Dead Horse!

Decorating By vmw774180 Updated 9 Jun 2005 , 5:29pm by Misska21

vmw774180 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmw774180 Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 11

OK, my icing turned out gritty again!! ARG!! - I even sifted and I am not sure if it was really that humid outside. I am using Dawns Receipe - When I first mixed all the sugar in it was fine nice and smooth, but after the 5-10 min it was all gritty. I was able to salvage it somewhat. I added another stick of butter and some whipping cream to then more sugar to stiffen and it smooth back out somewhat, but not really normal. Any ideas what could be causing this? Can you overmix BC?

10 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 11

Maybe it's the sugar that you are using?

Debbi

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmw774180

OK, my icing turned out gritty again!! ARG!! - I even sifted and I am not sure if it was really that humid outside. I am using Dawns Receipe - When I first mixed all the sugar in it was fine nice and smooth, but after the 5-10 min it was all gritty. I was able to salvage it somewhat. I added another stick of butter and some whipping cream to then more sugar to stiffen and it smooth back out somewhat, but not really normal. Any ideas what could be causing this? Can you overmix BC?

what kind of powdered sugar are you using?

vmw774180 Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 11

I know the sugar is good b/c I used part of the bag previously and it turned out perfect

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 11

Maybe your icing is seperating. Are you in a humidy climate? Try a little mergue powder. I just learned that in calss. icon_lol.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 11

I made a batch of Dawn's recipe recently with generic shortening and my icing turned out gritty, but after sitting overnight it was ok. But I will always be using Crisco from now on.

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 11

If it is Buttercream you are making, try the reicpe where you cook the sugar before whipping it into the butter. It is very smooth, silky and no trace of undesolved sugar.. It is alomost similar to making Marshmallows, but you just add Butter. It is a very good recipe.

EMoore

vmw774180 Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 11

I will try to rewhip with a little meringue powder as that is probably what happened. I live in SC, very humid, I think we are so accustomed to it I don't realize when it is and isn't humid!!

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 11

You should do a search for your topic. I did read in one post that it takes a bit for the shortening to absorb the liquid and sugar. The more you beat it the better and the longer it sets the better. I have noticed this to be true for me.

vmw774180 Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for the replies. I used a bit of it last night for the BCT on the cake. I have the rest the batch sitting out to ice/decorate the cake tonight, so I am going to add some merigue powder and beat the heck out of it! LOL Hopefully it will work.

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 11

Good luck VMW...be sure to let us know how it turns out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%