Super Sparkly Decoration?

Decorating By czyadgrl Updated 5 Aug 2006 , 6:51am by cakesbyjess

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 17

Hi!

A short while ago someone brought some cupcakes to work (I believe from a grocery store).

They had some great fluffy frosting. On top of that, they had a nice dark silvery color with lots of silvery-colored sparkle. I mean SPARKLE like BLING like I've never seen on anything edible before. It was fantastic. If you took a picture in the right light, you'd probably get those starry light bursts coming off the sparkle. icon_cool.gif

The cool part was that you couldn't really pick out exactly where the sparkles were coming from. It was almost completely flat, not like sprinkling sugars where you can see individual pieces.

Is this luster dust or a particular airbrush product? Has anyone seen or used anything like this or have pictures of a cake/cupcake/cookie with this type of stuff on it?

I need to find this stuff! It was so fun!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

16 replies
cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 17

Could be luster or maybe pixie or disco dust.I've not used pixie or disco so can't say what effect those give..

Cindy

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 17

I have bought edible glitter from my cake supply store. Could this be it? LouAnn

czyadgrl Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 17

Thanks!

I'm going to run to my cake supply store and see what they've got.
I didn't go looking for it yet b/c I wasn' sure what I should be looking for and hadn't heard about luster dust until I signed up on CC last week!

I've learned so much from all of you! Thank you! icon_smile.gif

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 17

kinda sounds like edible glitter to me, but who knows?? Hope you find it!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 17

I agree that it is probably pixie dust or disco dust, and if it is Really sparkly, it is more than likely disco dust.

And if you find someone who does not charge an arm and a leg for it, let me know. I am dying to try it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 17

it's sparkle dust and we use it all the time where i work. You can order it from sugarcraft and it does come if a variety of colors.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 17

This cake has disco dust on the top tier and the photo lets you see some of its effect - but in the 'real' light it looked very sparkly indeed, but it's not 'gritty' like normal glitter, maybe it's what you're looking for?
LL

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 17

Was it pixie dust like in this link? Maybe hologram silver or lilac?

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=21458&category_id=254

emmascakes Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 17

It's called disco hologram white, although lilac looks just as good. I'm UK based so the supplies aren't called the same things

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 17

The pixie dusts from Cakes By Sam and disco dusts are essentially the same--yeah just different names. I have ordered both from Cakes by Sam and from some UK suppliers. They are super sparkly, come in a wide variety of colors and I LOVE them. Any girly cake I do, I try to add some on. There is no comparison with these dusts to cake sparkles. The pixie/disco dusts are just awesome!

czyadgrl Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks guys!
I just got back from the cake dec. store and they hadn't head of pixie or disco dust. The lady suggested mixing the edible glitter with luster dust. Well, I'll play with those until I get my hands on some of the actual stuff.

I'll price it out and post what I find here in a few days.

Thanks!

Kate

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 10:14pm
post #13 of 17

here is a place that sell pixie dust (basic and for airbrushing) for $3.75

http://www.europeancakegallery.us/ecg_supplies1.html

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 12:04am
post #14 of 17

I've never heard of this. How neat! Do you just sprinkle it on your cakes? What if it's fondant..do you brush it on?

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:45am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokddng

I've never heard of this. How neat! Do you just sprinkle it on your cakes? What if it's fondant..do you brush it on?

Yup just sprinkle on! With fondant, just mix it with some clear extract (vanilla or lemon), vodka, gin, or everclear and paint it on--just like luster dust. In my pics, there is my daughter's princess crown/pillow cake. The crown is gumpaste painted with a couple of coats of clear gold pixie dust. Then on the main cake, the Happy B-day Sabine was purple luster dust painted on and then I went over it with purple pixie dust--just used it dry on a brush and dabbed it on.

emmascakes Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 6:11am
post #16 of 17

I sprinkle it on the worktop and then roll the fondant out on to it - painting it on nevere gives the density of sparkle I want. Lustre dusts mixed with glitter aren't going to do it girl! Get that disco hologram glitter in!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 6:51am
post #17 of 17

Wow!! I've never heard of this pixie dust!! I am so excited that I know about it now! I will definitely be buying some soon! Wish it wasn't so pricey, but it seems worth it!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%