Another Stencil Question

Decorating By cakesbybert Updated 19 Aug 2006 , 2:13am by cakesbybert

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 5

Working on a cake for County Fair. Going to try my first attempt at a fondant wedding cake. I am wanting to put a stencil around the sides would like to paint them on. Can you just use the wilton paste colors? Do you have to dilute? Will the color be dry to the touch? Don't want it to come off if accidently touched.

The cake is going to be black & white, with long stem calla lillies laying across the 12" base layer with a 8" layer on clear pillars. Going to put a black ribbon around the base of each layer.

Any help greatly appreciated, this will be my last day with computer access before the fair (home computer crashed-using work's)

Thanks
littlegrahamcracker

4 replies
cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 5

This is just my personal opinion here, but I would probably not paint with Wilton colors. I think it will give it kind of a "flat" look..plus if you make a mistake, you're stuck!
I did a small stencil cake this week and I used royal and then when that dried, I painted with luster dust. The beauty of royal is that if I made a mistake, I could scrape it off and begin again. Plus it gave the letters a little bit of height..not so flat!
Hope that's helpful
Cindy

cakesbybert Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 12:39am
post #3 of 5

Thanks cindww for the reply.

Worked on the cake today and decided with a totally different look. Gal's got the right to change her mind. Drives my DH crazy when I make cakes for the fair. icon_biggrin.gif

It was 114 here today. Found out that I definitly don't like working with fondant when its that hot and we have no AC!! Six times to roll out before got it right. icon_cry.gif

Will post pictures later when get them back (no digital camera).

Again, thanks for the info - going to experiment later with stenciling when its not so important it turns out perfectly.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 18 Aug 2006 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegrahamcracker

Thanks cindww for the reply.

Worked on the cake today and decided with a totally different look. Gal's got the right to change her mind. Drives my DH crazy when I make cakes for the fair. icon_biggrin.gif

It was 114 here today. Found out that I definitly don't like working with fondant when its that hot and we have no AC!! Six times to roll out before got it right. icon_cry.gif

Will post pictures later when get them back (no digital camera).

Again, thanks for the info - going to experiment later with stenciling when its not so important it turns out perfectly.

NO AC and NO DIGITAL CAMERA?!?!? icon_surprised.gif
However do you survive???????? icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbybert Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 2:13am
post #5 of 5

Going with out AC is not too bad most of time. In fact, I usually freeze when I go anywhere with AC. icon_cool.gif

As for the digitial camera - hopefully one of these days it will be my turn to get one - though I have a real nice 35mm.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%