Expired Cake Mix

Decorating By nickshalfpint Updated 5 Aug 2006 , 2:44am by cakesbyjess

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 19

I have a cake mix that expired on July 31st 2006. I know it's only a week expired, but can i still use it? Kristen

18 replies
Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 19

I would NOT chance it.

blowingsunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blowingsunshine Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 19

icon_confused.gif sorry, even just a week, its still expired! thumbs_up.gif (looks like you have to go to the store, ummm, my eggs are expired July26 can you grab me some new ones too? icon_lol.gif )

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 19

ummm, cake mix expires? Better go check my cupboard!

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 19

I would suggest, "DON'T".
But wait for others suggestions. May be some of us would have good perfect answer.

Thanks
Nitu

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 19

Ok- I just have to say because I used to work for a food company, the expiration date is mainly for stores. they cannot sell an item if it is past the expiration date!

If it is in your house and it expires, it should be fine. (as long as it is not expired for like a year or something)
If you are worried about it, open it up and pour the mix into something and just look into it and see if it seems ok.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 19

I would use it, but for my family. Something I can taste to make sure it's OK. I did think things were fine past their expiration dates. Usually for about 6 months.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:01am
post #8 of 19

a week out i would use it and not think a thing about it.

nickshalfpint Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:25am
post #9 of 19

Thank You. I'm gonna try it =)

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:34am
post #10 of 19

Yeah, I also heard that the expiration date was for store selling purposes. Back in High School, my cooking teacher told me that it would be safe to use eggs, milk, and some other stuff after the expiration date. Personally, I wouldn't. I throw out stuff when they get close to their exp. date!

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 12:51am
post #11 of 19

There is a buffer of time built into food expiration dates. How much I don't know. But it isn't that at the stroke of midnight it will all of a sudden make you sick.

For highly perishable items you usually have 2 to 3 days of leeway, for perishables approx 1 week. I know for something like a cake mix it should be at minimum a month where you could still use it. If you cannot use it w/n the next week or so, I would put the entire box in a Ziploc bag, expel as much air as possible and store it in the freezer, seems to me that should buy you 2 to 3 months. Just a guess, but a good one I think.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 3:03am
post #12 of 19

i would call the toll free number on the box. im almost sure i have read that the mixes have a 1 yr shelf life, but go straight to the people who know instead of guessing. we'd all like to know for sure.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 3:12am
post #13 of 19

A while back I had this same question w/a box of bananna cake mix. I called the toll free number (cake was about a yr past exp). THey basically told me that for cake mixes, the expiration has to to with the leavening (baking powder/soda, etc). LIke, if I were to bake it anyway, it might taste fine but I would be chancing it not rising due to the leavening being old. I did it anyway for a family shower. It was fine, although I'm not sure If I'd chance it with the other banana cake mix in my cupboard (it's probably from the same shopping trip 2 yrs ago!!) noone orders bananna cake anymore, so they just sit in my cupboard!!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 3:27am
post #14 of 19

I agree with yellobutterfly, I've heard the same thing. It's probably just the leavening ingredients that have an actual/recommended expiration date.

Also heard that the exp. dates are for stores as a guideline (dairy and other perishables excluded!).

I would bake it up. Worst case scenario, it doesn't bake up quite right = Great snacking cake!

And yellobutterfly, I LOVE your signature about the chocolate. I might have to borrow it an put it in my cube at the office! It's great!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 3:34am
post #15 of 19

help yourself, I borrowed it from a friend anyway!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 3:39am
post #16 of 19

I agree that you should be just fine. It's only a few days expired. I've used cake mixes before that were a few months expired, and they rose (rised?) just fine. I say go for it! icon_smile.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 5:59am
post #17 of 19

I know many of you stateside gals may be appalled, but living on this island many of our food products expire at our base commissary before they can be sold. They go through and quality check the items and still sell them at a very reduced price. Many items are safe to eat past the expiration date. I would not freak out at all over eating 1 day expired cake mix. Would I buy it? NO. But I don't have a problem using it, if it's already in my kitchen and I know it's been stored/kept properly. If you feel it may not rise properly add 1 teaspoon of baking powder to the cake mix, it should rise perfectly. I do that to all my DH cake mixes.

thumbs_up.gif

nickshalfpint Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:11pm
post #18 of 19

I called the 800 number and they told me it's good for 6-12 months after the expiration date. She said after 6 months to add a tsp of baking powder to it to help it rise, Just like SkisInOkinawa suggested (thank you). Everything came out great. Thanks everyone for your help. I'm really glad I didn't have to go back to the store thumbs_up.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 2:44am
post #19 of 19

Thanks for sharing what you found out. That is great to know!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%