Printer For Edible Images??? Im Confused!!!

Decorating By briansbaker Updated 24 Aug 2006 , 12:48pm by MrsMissey

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 17

It's me Brian's baker back in action!!!!!! Ha Ha!!

I found 2 printers at 50 bucks a piece.. I am so discouraged about getting one.. Hubby said for me to look into it and he will purchase it for me.. He also said " have you done any investigation on the printers?" I said "uh, no". Then he said he found some info. on the net something about you have to use your edible image printer daily or it will get clogged and the ink will dry out.. icon_surprised.gif OMG is this true?. I dont think I am going to use it daily, but man that sounds like a waste of my time.. To have to repurchase 100 dollar ink cause I didnt use it fast enough??
This is what I found.. Are they the right printers?? and at a good price??

Here is the link..
http://estore.usa.canon.com/searchresults.asp?PARENTOID=5

PIXMA iP1600 Photo Printer $49.99
PIXMA iP1700 Photo Printer $49.99

TIA Christy

16 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 17

Well I don't think you have to use them daily but I have heard at least weekly....I too pondered buying a edible ink printer but felt I wouldn't even use it weekly and your right about the inks so I opted for a Kopykake projector instead.Best investment I made!!!

DEIRDRE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEIRDRE Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 17

I am not sure the printers you are talking about are for edible photos. Here is a website that I have found that has what you are looking for. I hope to be able to purchase one myself in the near future.
www.computercakes.com
I hope this would be of some help to you. If you decide to purchase one, please let me know how they work.

[moderator edited to remove email address]

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 17

Don't be so discouraged!

I have had my edible image printer for almost a year now, so far no problems with clogging! And no, I don't use it anywhere near daily! If your are afraid of clogs, you can remove the ink cartridges and put them in an airtight container for storage between use, I also have cleaning cartridges that I run thru the printer occasionally. AND, my inks are no where near $100, I can get replacements for about $15 per cartridge (but keep in mind the cartridges are only good for 20-25 prints - info from supplier), I haven't had to replace mine yet!

I have the Canon Pixma iP1500, and I love it!!!!! I recommend going to Kopykake, or another website that sells edible image equipment, and compare prices for your supplies, and availability for cartridges for the specific printers you are looking into.

Also, you can by refill inks for the print cartridges, if you are interested in refilling. Some of the printers have 2 cartridges, like mine (1 color, 1 black). Others have 4 or more cartridges for the individual ink colors in seperate cartridges (this is great if you are planning to refill!).

HTH!
glenda thumbs_up.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 17

WOW Kiddiekakes
the ones I've seen are like 600 bucks and above..WAY to much for me!!!!! man I want one so bad.. I know I can do amazing things with one.. I just dont know which way to go.. Thanks DEIRDRE for the site!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 17

What do yah mean $600.00 bucks...Mine was $195.00 the larger one is only $300.00...Go to Kopykake.com and check them out.Ebay also has them up for auction all the time for good prices as well but watch the shipping!!

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbaker

WOW Kiddiekakes
the ones I've seen are like 600 bucks and above..WAY to much for me!!!!! man I want one so bad.. I know I can do amazing things with one.. I just dont know which way to go.. Thanks DEIRDRE for the site!!

Here's a couple sites I've been looking threw to be able to use my own printer for edible inks..I have two printers anyway, and since they make edible cartridges mostly for Cannons, I'll probably use my Cannon printer for the edible pictures and such as...one site did stress not to use your printer for regular inks afterwards to avoid cross contamination.

Good Luck and keep us posted, I'm rather anxious to hear how everyone else's comes out to hear the pros and cons before I decide to buy the inks and paper and set my printer up.

http://www.icingimages.com/systems.php?link=3&info=8397b653b3

http://www.tastyfotoart.com/edible_ink_photo.htm

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 17

I bought a Canon ip1300 at Office depot for $90 and got a $20 mail in rebate.
I got my edible ink cartridges and frosting sheets from Kopykake. I have to say I haven't used mine yet. I didn't order the cleaning cartridges so I'll probably store mine in an airtight container between uses and hope that will be sufficient.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 17

I got an IP3000 about a year ago for less than $40--really searched to find a great deal.

Here is info from Kopykake on compatible printers. It also lists Epson printers, but I'm not sure how those go--I think some people have had problems with them. http://www.kopykake.com/pc_CompatiblePrinterGuide.html

Here is their FAQ too--I always find it very helpful: http://www.kopykake.com/pc_faqs.html#1-2

And yes, you should always use a brand new printer--one that has not had the regular inks run through it.

I don't use mine daily--maybe every other month and I have not had problems with clogging too bad. I always run a test run on regular paper first before I put my edible paper through.

Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 17

Don't get me wrong everybody.....I would like a printer as well if I knew I would use it enough.I do like what you can do with it with names fonts etc...I have heard pros and cons about any piece of decorating equipment so don't let that deter your decision.... icon_biggrin.gif Wheteher you get a printer or projector I'm sure you will find great uses for each!!! thumbs_up.gif

Laurel icon_wink.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbaker

It's me Brian's baker back in action!!!!!! Ha Ha!!

I found 2 printers at 50 bucks a piece.. I am so discouraged about getting one.. Hubby said for me to look into it and he will purchase it for me.. He also said " have you done any investigation on the printers?" I said "uh, no". Then he said he found some info. on the net something about you have to use your edible image printer daily or it will get clogged and the ink will dry out.. icon_surprised.gif OMG is this true?. I dont think I am going to use it daily, but man that sounds like a waste of my time.. To have to repurchase 100 dollar ink cause I didnt use it fast enough??
This is what I found.. Are they the right printers?? and at a good price??

Here is the link..
http://estore.usa.canon.com/searchresults.asp?PARENTOID=5

PIXMA iP1600 Photo Printer $49.99
PIXMA iP1700 Photo Printer $49.99

TIA Christy

Hi Christy! Nice to see you back in action icon_biggrin.gif Unfortunately, neither of those printers can be used for edible imaging. You'll want to look into either the Canon iP3000, iP1500 or the MP130. Any one of those would run $50-$100 new.

You'll also want to avoid purchasing your edible imaging system as a kit or package. Those are typically priced at 3-5X what you'd pay if you went ahead and bought the items separately. I'd also avoid the Epson printers...lots of problems especially when they're used for edible imaging.

I'm so excited for you that you're getting a system set up. It's much easier than you might think and a lot of fun!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 17

I have the Canon ip3000 not the 1300, if there is one. LOL

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 17

I have the Canon i960 and love, love love that thing! I don't even know if they still make that one but it was the best investment!!

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 11:44pm
post #14 of 17

Hi,

I unfortunetly have an Epson. It works beautifully most of the time, and I have only had one really bad episode with it, but it was a doozie! Took me hours to clean it out! ( I think my icing sheets were old and dry, so it ate it when I put it through....talk about a mess!)
I use it about 3 or 4 times a month, and it does fine. But the next clog or jam I have, I'm investing in a Canon. Hopefully they will have compatible cartridges for the some of the newer canons by then.

Sherry

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 11:53pm
post #15 of 17

Just wanted to add...I got my printer on eBay. It was about $50 with shipping included. It might be worth checking into to see what kind of printers they have listed!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:08pm
post #16 of 17

I have a Canon ip1500 that I got online. Amazon, I think. I paid in the neighborhood of $120. I use it sporadically. I've never had any problem whatsoever with clogging. It makes GREAT images.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 24 Aug 2006 , 12:48pm
post #17 of 17

..you may want to check out the fantastic three chapter "Article" that Lisa just did here on CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%