Mmf - I'm A Believer!!!

Decorating By dydemus Updated 3 Aug 2006 , 7:05pm by TOMAY

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 23

I FINALLy tried making MMF - I have dragged my feet for so long - I hate the taste of traditional fondant - and I was not looking forward to the challenge of making and decorating an entire 3 tier with it. But man, was it great! It was easy to make (inexpensive) and easy to work with. I am not a mashmallow fan, but even I could eat this stuff. I even got it on the cake almost perfectly!! Why oh why did I wait so long?

22 replies
aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 23

I thought the same thing.. it is great to use on cookies too!

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 23

Wowo this was nice to hear I am getting ready soon to try this so thanks for the push I will have to make it.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 23

Is there a recipe that you all really like? I think that I'm ready to give it a go!

cowgirl58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowgirl58 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 23

I was really disappointed because mine doesn't turn out right, it's too dry - how many cups of icing sugar in total do you use and as well marshmallows? Help

mjlaw78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjlaw78 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 23

I totally agree, I hate the taste of fondant and didn't want to mess with making MMF but just made some on Sunday and it is wonderful. Took me a little while to get used to using it because it is different than what I am used to but boy what a difference. I will never go back to store bought if I can help it.

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 23

Can it be made in a low power kitchen aid mixer, or do you mix it by hand?

I'm dying to try it. I just bought some wilton fondant and it tastes horrible. Haven't done anything with fondant yet, but DD's birthday is coming up. I'm just a mom making cakes for fun, not a business person.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 23

PennySue,

Here is a link to an article and a recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

You probably won't need an entire 2lb. bag of confectioner's sugar. Try it, you'll love the way it tastes!

dydemus,

I love working with MMF. I was the same as you were... I just couldn't make myself try the MMF as the other fondants I had tried were so nasty. Now Satin Ice tastes awesome and works great too; however, it's pricey.... MMF is very inexpensive to make and I like the way it works and tastes too icon_smile.gif

Kelrak,

I've done mine with a KitchenAid mixer before. I started off with my paddle then end up with the dough hook. The key here is not to over work you mixer!! Once everything is incorporated, turn your mixer off. Do not keep mixing it or it could possibly damage your mixer.

dydemus Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 23

Yes, don't use the entire amount of powdered sugar - someone else recommended adding it gradually as you work with it til you get the right consistency. It should not be sticky, but not too dry either. If you've worked with the Wilton (I echo the Ick! on that one) you will know what it should feel like - they feel similar but MMF tastes WAY better. The recipe right here on this site is great! What would I do without this site!!

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 23

Thank you so much. I've been using Satin Ice and it is expensive, esp. if you are just practicing and such. Thanks again!

tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 23

i never use all the sugar suggested AND i like to add a bit of butter flavoring so that it tastes like the buttercream underneath.. i have a high powered mixer and like stated above i only use it until its all incorporated.. then i use my hands.. i like it.. its a good work out if you have any pent up anger.. icon_wink.gif

AngD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngD Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 23

Hope I don't sound to stupid, but I am a newbie with fondant and was wondering, when you do thison a cake do you ice it underneath then but the fondant over it?

dydemus Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 23

Usually you do a buttercream coat underneath. It helps the fondant adhere, and people who don't eat fondant, peal it off and eat the buttercream!

Cookie_Brookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie_Brookie Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 23

I just made my first batch of MMF two nights ago and I loved it. I was dreading making it but it was actually fun (except that I forgot to grease my bowl icon_razz.gif Whoops!!!) Wilton fondant was the first kind I tried and the only thing I could think of was why would anyone put this on a cake? But MMF tastes great.

What kind of flavorings does everyone use? I just used vanilla.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 23

i did the easy mmf recipe found on this site. it was really great. i just used a spoon to mix to get it incorporated then turned it out on a lightly greased surface and kneaded until no longer sticky. I used about 1 cup less powdered sugar than stated but i think that would change with everyone. just add until no longer sticky is my best advice. goodluck to those who are trying it for the 1st time, it really isnt that hard.

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 5:06pm
post #16 of 23

What am I doing wrong? When I tried to make MMF I ended up with a big sticky mess! Most people here say not to use the full amount of powdered sugar but I did and it was still sticky. Please help!

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 5:13pm
post #17 of 23

Alip, did you use a 2lb bag of sugar and 16 oz of marshmallows? How much water/flavoring did you put into the melted marshmallow?

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 5:16pm
post #18 of 23

Love MMF! Have always used it, never even tried Wilton fondant, and probably will not sinse I have heard that the taste sucks!!!

Thanks CC usaribbon.gif

alip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alip Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 6:52pm
post #19 of 23

DianaMarieMTV - I used a 16 oz. bag of marshmallows, a 2 lb. bag of powdered sugar and 2 tbsp. of water. I found the recipe on the Wilton site and followed the directions given. I have just read the article on CC and think I may have discovered my problem. The directions I used didn't say anything about wrapping the MMF and letting it sit for an hour before using it. I just waited until it was cool enough to handle and then began working. I'm going to try again following the CC directions. Hopefully this will help. I really want to try fondant but don't want to spend a ton of $ on it.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 6:55pm
post #20 of 23

I hope things go better for you after letting it sit for a while! If it's still sticky I'd try adding more powdered sugar. It really is a great fondant once you get the texture right! Good luck!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:00pm
post #21 of 23

I love MMFondant, and it's the only one i put on my cakes.. thumbs_up.gif
Those who have not tried, please go ahead and try it.. you won't be sorry !! i also use MMFondant on my cookies.. icon_smile.gif

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:00pm
post #22 of 23

I tried that MMF recipe and it was fairly easy. I'm working on a cake this weekend and for the first time I am using Satin Ice. Has anyone worked with Satin Ice before? and if so, how is the taste???

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 7:05pm
post #23 of 23

i like the taste of satin ice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%