I Moved From Alaska To Nebraska! Couple ???

Decorating By cakesbykitty Updated 28 Jun 2007 , 7:54pm by cspencer

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 15

Hi all! So sorry I've been so quiet, I have been very busy packing and moving... 4,500 miles! That's right, we moved from Alaska to Nebraska!!!!

So i have a couple questions....

first, is it possible to change my name from alaskanmom to something else?

second, any recomendations for adapting crusting buttercream recipes for this &^@#*! heat and humidity????

Thanks all, I have missed you!

Kitty

14 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 15

Val shared her recipe for High Humidity Buttercream: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_id-add_box-4123.html

A lot of people have good results using it.

cakesbykitty Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 15

thank you! any clue on how to change my name????

cakesbykitty Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 15

i just went to my forum info and changed my username... didn't work... and after changing to my new email I am not getting email now either... aggggh! help me?! icon_cry.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 15

name change --

petition the "court" aka Jackie and Heath.

only they can do that kind of switch

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 15

welcome to the lower 48! I lived in anchorage a couple of years ago, then moved to the plains of illinois. couldn't stand all that flat, so now we are in utah, with mountains again!

cakesbykitty Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:23am
post #7 of 15

doug... you are a fountain of knowledge... how do i contact them?

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 15

Can I ask why the move to Staplehurst--since it is a tiny town. I am only a hop skip and a jump west of there. You think it is bad now wait until August!

cakesbykitty Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 15

we wanted to be in Seward but all the homes were rented out to college kids. We are enjoying Staplehurst, it's small, friendly and much cheaper! LOL! we are here for my husband, who is already an A&P aircraft mechanic, to go to Milford to add diesel mechanic to what he can do. plus, his ENTIRE family is in Nebraska (Seward, Goehner, Kearney, Lincoln, Omaha, Broken Bow)... soooooo, we are here. Where are you? I would love to talk to you about adapting recipes for elevation and humidity! I am not set up yet (we just got the house unpacked.. all my cake pans are in a box in the basement!) but am itching to get ready to make cakes! if you want, email me at [email protected]!!!!!!

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 15

I feel your pain on the heat. We moved from Alaska to Houston, Texas... I miss the mountains and the snow and I even miss the Moose (kinda), oh and the dividend check icon_smile.gif . I use the Brite White Buttercream and it works wonderful for me! Also I do a lot of into the fridge with the cake, out of the fridge with the cake, into the fridge with the cake, out of the fridge with the cake...

Good luck and Welcome to the lower 48!

cakesbykitty Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 15

thank you! It's wonderful to live "outside" again! LOL. the lower 48 never felt so good! I went grocery shopping at a super walmart and almost passed out at the low grocery prices! i feel like i'm in a humid, hot heaven! LOL LOL LOL icon_lol.gif

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:41pm
post #12 of 15

Where in Alaska were you?

cspencer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cspencer Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 15

Welcome to Nebraska. I'm just a bit east of you in Malcolm. We actually looked at a couple of houses in Staplehurst when we moved last. It ended up just being to far out from Lincoln.

My daughter's birthday party is being held at the lake this coming Sunday. I'm also researching the best buttercream for this heat. It's supposed to be in the mid 90's. If I can remember I'll post back about how things worked out.

cakesbykitty Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 15

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! please do!

cspencer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cspencer Posted 28 Jun 2007 , 7:54pm
post #15 of 15

Well I ended up using the High Humidity Buttercream recipe and it held up fairly well. I think the cake sat out for about 2 hours. My only complaint is that it looked a bit glossy after a while. That really wasn't a problem with the design I had.

I was afraid my fondant pieces would slide down the cake, but I had no problems with that. The picture is in my gallery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%