Cake Flavors And Combos...weekend Practicing

Decorating By Ladivacrj Updated 3 Aug 2006 , 6:46pm by Chef_Stef

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 13

Ok CC:

I'm going to do some practicing this weekend with cake flavors and combos. Any suggestions on where to start.

I want to try about 2 or 3, don't want to go to crazy it's already going to be a lot of cake to eat. icon_cry.gif

Thanks Guys

12 replies
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 13

I've been wanting to try out some new filling flavors, so I got caramel, coconut, banana cream, and orange oil, and I've been craving some nut flavors like black walnut or praline...I'm also liking the idea of flavored washes, so you get the cake, the wash, AND the filling. Like a chocolate cake with almond wash and cherry filling.

I have this great cake supply store that has every flavor under the sun. I mean...horehound? Tuttifrutti? Sassifrass? Champagne? hmmm...

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 13

What is a flavored wash? Sounds yummy!
icon_smile.gif

bovaritter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bovaritter Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 13

I have been asked to do a "fun" wedding cake with a summer flip flop theme, and I have the design down pat, but the bride and groom want me to pick flavor combos and I am in a rut! I may do a rich chocolate with rasberry mousse filling. I think I want to do one layer very basic since kids will be there. Any ideas on combos that people love? I will be icing the cake in buttercream.

thanks!
bovaritter icon_smile.gif

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 13

Check out some websites with combos already listed on them. Here is one: http://www.acaketoremember.com/flavors-and-pricing.html

I did the butter cake with raspberry filling and white chocolate truffle. It was such a great combo...

Ugh! Now I wanna go fire up the oven!!! YUM!!!

salsera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salsera Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 13

Bovaritter,

A couple of nice combos to go along with the flip-flop theme are:
1. Key lime cake or white cake with a key lime filling
2. Coconut cake with a rum buttercream filling (my favorite!)
3 Some type of coconut - pineapple combo (think Pina coladas)

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by msauer

Check out some websites with combos already listed on them. Here is one: http://www.acaketoremember.com/flavors-and-pricing.html

I did the butter cake with raspberry filling and white chocolate truffle. It was such a great combo...

Ugh! Now I wanna go fire up the oven!!! YUM!!!

That's a nice idea! I have a TON of pro sites bookmarked that I look at for just that- because I need to start focussing on a few different flavours /fillings combos too- it's fun to do the outside creative stuff but the cake has to be exciting and edible inside too icon_biggrin.gif

Oh well, everyone has been warned they are going to be guinea pigs every week LOL

Ladivac, good luck with the experimenting! I can't offer suggestions because I'm just starting out with that stuff myself

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:08pm
post #8 of 13

Hey everyone. Has anyone on this thread ever made an amaretto cake, and or filling? I've been asked to make one for a friend and I've never made one before. I need to be able to frost it so I don't think I can use a syrup over the top. Thank ya much...

oceanspitfire Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

Hey everyone. Has anyone on this thread ever made an amaretto cake, and or filling? I've been asked to make one for a friend and I've never made one before. I need to be able to frost it so I don't think I can use a syrup over the top. Thank ya much...

A thought coming from a total amateur here: why don't you use the amaretto you would normally drizzle over the top as a glaze, and turn it into a crumbcoat of some kind? Then you get the flavour- also read something about a wash in another thread? I had a problem with my choco cake the other day seeming a bit dry (apparently they said it wasnt) so I brushed it with water before crumbcoating/icing it. Just thin your BC crumbcoat down with amaretto instead of milk maybe.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 13

Hey there oceanspitfire - I don't see why that wouldn't work. Geeez, why didn't I think of that? I guess I tend to over analze things icon_smile.gif Thank you so much!!

oceanspitfire Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

Hey there oceanspitfire - I don't see why that wouldn't work. Geeez, why didn't I think of that? I guess I tend to over analze things icon_smile.gif Thank you so much!!

Oh I know what you mean about overanalyzing! LOL I do it all the time- but with cake deco/baking, I'm still new so maybe my mind is really in simple(ton) mode still LOL

bovaritter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bovaritter Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 6:35pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you so much everyone for the great suggestions! I am very excited to start baking!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 6:46pm
post #13 of 13

Oops, I'm late.

A flavored wash is just a simple syrup of half water, half sugar. Place in a small pan on the stove and heat just to boiling, swirl pan a bit to mix sugar and water, but I don't stir it. Then remove from the heat and add what ever flavor you like for the "wash".

Allow to cool, then sprinkle or brush on the layers of cake before the filling, so the syrup soaks the cake a bit. I used about 1/3 of a cup of water and 1/3 cup of sugar for total syrup used for a 6" cake, and used all of it.

Thus--chocolate cake, rum wash, coconut filling...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%