Do You Ever Feel Like Giving Up Cake Decorating

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 18 Jun 2007 , 1:20am by jl5949

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:33am
post #1 of 15

I am having a huge bad night. I have 3 cakes to do for tomorrow. Nothing came out right. My fondant was too dry and I had to throw it out. My buttercream is too soft and it's hard decorating with it. My filling was too saucy and I have no idea how this cake will sit in the end. I have had to redesign all 3 cakes because of all these problems and I am just about ready to throw in the old big towel and not decorate anymore. I know I put too much on myself for 1 night but I thought I could do it. If everything had cooperated I would have made it.

14 replies
cshelz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cshelz Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:36am
post #2 of 15

Your cakes are beautiful. Seems to be just a bad day? Hope things get better for you. icon_smile.gif

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:03am
post #3 of 15

sounds like you had an off day. Things will look better after a good nights sleep

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 4:46am
post #4 of 15

I feel that way sometimes to. It can be stressful at times, especially when things aren't going right. Hang in there.

MsRhonda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsRhonda Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 4:59am
post #5 of 15

Don't feel like you are alone...there have been a number of times that I have wanted to say the heck with it all! I really think that is normal for anyone, especially when you have an off day. I have done the same thing by taking on too much but thinking that I can handle it. It seems like though, it all works out in the end. HANG IN THERE...it gets better!!

Rhonda

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:04am
post #6 of 15

Like Duff says, "You don't let the cake tell you what to do, you tell the cake what to do." Don't let one bad day getcha all twitterpated hun. This too shall pass and you'll be fine. Use it as a learning experience. Gotta look for those silver lining thingees. If it wasn't for days like these we wouldn't appreciate the good days as much!

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:16am
post #7 of 15

Hang in there!! Here is a big (((((HUG))))) for you. Your cakes and cookies are so beautiful. icon_smile.gif

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:22am
post #8 of 15

Please don't give up! I almost did when I had fondant that didn't want to stretch and my son put a huge finger mark along the side. Luckily it was just a demo cake, and actually the one I have gotten the most favorites from. Stop, take a deep breathe, take a sip of vodka (lol) and try again.

stylishbite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stylishbite Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 10:11am
post #9 of 15

I have felt that way before, when I put so much time and heart in cake with only small $ return and person seemed just okay with results. I found others don't get as much joy from cake as I do, I just think they should! Somethimes just saying it out load helps, and makes me realize I could never!
Hang in there, just like everything good and bad, it's only a season, a new one is coming.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 10:39am
post #10 of 15

I feel that way right now. I've been depressed for a week or so now nothing is turning out right or I don't have what I need. Told my DD today I was selling all my pans and things and giving up . But this too shall pass. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 6:00am
post #11 of 15

I am taking a break so totally empathise with you all. I'm so very busy in my day job (primary school teacher) that cake decorating has sadly turned into one more thing to stress about. I have a few wedding cakes lined up for friends so I cans enjoy them as I have control the design, but have been turning down bookings so I can take a break. I've decided to do this rather than quit so I can come back to it when I'm ready.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 10:37am
post #12 of 15

So sorry you had such a bad time! So I am sending you a big ole (((((((((((Hug)))))))))) your cakes and cookies look wonderful and I think you are just in need of a good ole cup of jo and a break icon_biggrin.gif . Breathe deep, relax and don't let it get you down.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 15

I'm not what you call a decorator, I just do cakes for family and a few friends of family. I usually hate how the cakes look, never have turned out how I wanted it to except for my turkey cake, that had to have been a fluke! I have invested in a ton of cake tools, if anyone could pick my brain, I would be interested to know why I have let a hobby get so expensive. I get frustrated when I do the dang piping, I can't get the knack of pressure control. So, I have said many a day, maybe I need to put an ad on Craig's List and be done with it. You should see my spare room, all the hobby stuff I have done in the past...gasp! I hope you don't let one bad day ruin you love for cake decorating...Hang In There!! thumbs_up.gif

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:11am
post #14 of 15

Well thanks for all of the support. But things got worse instead of better. I decorated a beautiful cake for my daugther's 28th birthday and a Red Sox cap for my dad for Father's Day and just a chocolate cake. I had to travel 90 miles with all 3 cakes. I put the chocolate cake that was not decorated on the floor in the front of the car. The other 2 cakes I put in a big tub in the back seat. My daugther's was on a cake pedestal and toppled over right on top of my dad's cake. So none of it was salvagable but I didn't cry. I was upset but there was nothing I could do about it. It tasted great though even as messed up as they were. But thanks for all the your moral support.

jl5949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jl5949 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:20am
post #15 of 15

Your cakes are great. Remember, it's just a bad night... things will be better tomorrow. Keep up your great work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%