July Totm Ideas

Decorating By Melvira Updated 24 Jun 2007 , 9:43pm by Melvira

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:38am
post #31 of 78

I'll add my two cents worth (almost worth two US cents right now, does that carry any extra weight?) and go along with

***Harry Potter***

Big fan, the whole family. Traditionally, my friend and I always go see the new movie opening night (I should go see if they are selling tickets yet) and I get the book first on the release date, since it's me that goes to pick it up.

The new movie looks great! It's my favourite book of them all so far, so I'll have to try not to be too critical.

TRisser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TRisser Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 9:37am
post #32 of 78

*****Christmas in July****** gets my vote since it is cold here and really makes me feel like Christmas. The only thing I hate about Australia is a HOT Christmas. Too weird to ever get used to I reckon.

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:03am
post #33 of 78

I'm joining the Harry Potter bandwagon.

****Harry Potter***

I have all the books so far and all the DVDs. I tell people they're for my nine year old but we all know the truth.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:29pm
post #34 of 78

how about:

***baseball***

??

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:41pm
post #35 of 78

Reminiscing about my summers on the Greek Isalnds....how about

**********PARADISE**************

(Giada just had a show in Santorini....OMG it's sooooo beautiful there)

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:44pm
post #36 of 78

Well, this Georgian drinks peach daiquiris... lol icon_lol.gif I'm not from here either... California is my homeland and they are mean too!!! Haha, that's why all of us westerners move out east to be with all of the nice people! Only thing is, I never meet anyone who is actually FROM Georgia?!?! Did we drive them all away????

I'll throw in my 2 cents for ****** Christmas in July****** also! thumbs_up.gif

I am a big goober and I look forward to zoning out on QVC all day on July 25th. I am only in my 20's, you see that I am using my youth to the fullest by plopping my butt on the couch to watch ornaments on TV.... icon_cry.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:49pm
post #37 of 78

Quick change... since we are still working out the kinks here...

Perhaps instead of posting a poll with ALL the suggestions in it, do you think we should just take the most popular five or so? At first I was saying, let's not 'vote' here, we'll wait for the poll, but seeing the sheer VOLUME of ideas makes me think it would be better the other way! And since we're all showing enthusiasm for certain ideas, it won't be hard to narrow it down to the top few suggestions! Then we'll still do the poll for the final choice. Does that sound fair to everyone? I also think it's good that way because I know if you vote for something, but it's not even close to being the top suggestion, you may rather vote for something else. This way, you can choose out of just the top few, so that it's not like 14 ideas with one vote each. Hehehe! Hope I am being clear here!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:56pm
post #38 of 78

That makes sense to me! How much does that count for icon_razz.gif ANyway, I vote for

******Christmas in July*******

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:57pm
post #39 of 78

I like the christmas in july idea.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:08pm
post #40 of 78

I second *********summer camp*********. My kids are going to sleep away camp for a month each so it's really on my mind!

Kathi

NancysFancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysFancy Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:24pm
post #41 of 78

Yeah, Melvira, the top 5 idea sounds manageable and easier for all of us when it comes time to vote. ( Let alone, easier for you to tally) So, will there be an end date for random suggestions? And then we vote on the top 5 at the end of the month?

Melvira Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:34pm
post #42 of 78

Fantastic question Nancy! I am working right now on an FAQ for this theme thing we've got going here. Here is what I have hammered out for that bit of information...

How do we choose the months theme? Around the 15th of the month I start a thread asking for suggestions. During the last (approximately) 5 days of the month I will create a poll with the most popular suggestions. On the first day of the following month I will post a new thread with the most popular theme. (All dates are approximate, allowing for real life to intervene!!)

Does that sund good?

NancysFancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysFancy Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:36pm
post #43 of 78

Sounds perfect icon_biggrin.gif Also sounds like alot of work for you. Get Buns to tally. "He" lives for this stuff.

Melvira Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:47pm
post #44 of 78

No worries, I enjoy doing it! It's fun for me to have something like this to do! Not that I have nothing else going on, this just gives me something fun on the side! Hehehehe! Buns can definitely check my tallying though... I have been known to miscount, and you can always expect a pretty accurate count from her. icon_wink.gif

Oh, here is the FAQ thread that I created... if anyone has anything to add to it, please let me know and I'll add it.

Edited to add the freakin link... duh??? http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-3615753.html#3615753

adven68 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 5:42pm
post #45 of 78

Hey Mel....

You are so into this!!! I have a suggestion to alleviate so much work for you...
every time CC has a contest, it's just a subject that J and H choose and everyone joins in wholeheartedly.....

I, for one, trust you to choose a theme each month without it necessarily having been voted on.....so why don't you take any suggestions and then go ahead and pick one? I don't think anyone will oppose that...

Melvira Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 6:39pm
post #46 of 78

GAH!! Why do you hate me? Why do you want me to get beat up??? I'd be cranking off members left and right! (Hmmm... she never comments on my cakes... I'll just pretend I didn't see her suggestions...) Hahaha! Just teasing! But, the reason I was doing the voting thing is that I want everyone to feel that their opinion counts, and that THEY are collectively choosing it, you know? If it becomes too much work, then maybe everyone will say they trust me to choose the topic, but I really want to give it a go like this and see if it works out. I think it will be really fun, and I know people are more apt to join in when they feel they are being heard!! But thank you SO MUCH for your vote of confidence in me!! That does NOT go unnoticed, or unappreciated!! (I'll never pretend not to see YOUR suggestions! Hahahah!)

adven68 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:26pm
post #47 of 78

okey dokey thumbs_up.gif

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 9:33am
post #48 of 78

I put my vote in for

****Harry Potter****

I like the Patriotism theme, too.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:00pm
post #49 of 78

****Harry Potter****

It's the perfect month to have that theme, since this is the last book and a movie is coming out. My 8 year old and I have fought over who gets to read the book first, we aren't buying two hard covers, I won of course. icon_twisted.gif

debilou68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debilou68 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:41pm
post #50 of 78

Well, here's an idea,, several have suggested Harry Potter so instead of just limiting it to "that" book why not go with
****** Your Favorite Book******** and then you could create something like the cover of the book or favorite character, etc.. .. Just a thought..

debilou68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debilou68 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:02pm
post #51 of 78

Oooh,, just thought of another one,, **** the Zoo ****** since alot of people use the summer break as a time to visit the zoo with the kids,,, alot of possibility there..

midgit1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midgit1205 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:24pm
post #52 of 78

I vote for. . . . Drum role please . . . . .

************Harry Potter*******************

Just saw the previews for the new movie it looks fantastic!! I preorder my book months ago too. My DH thinks I am a little strange . . . . must be all the bertie botts!

Melvira Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:29pm
post #53 of 78

Ok ladies and gents... as of this post right now we have four top contenders. They are, in order of popularity: Harry Potter, X-mas in July, Patriotism, and Summer Camp. I am not asking you to vote yet, I am just updating everyone. If I were to start the poll right now, these would be the choices. We'll give it a few more days to see if anyone comes up with something that blows us all away... but as for right now, I'm hoping Harry wins! Oh, I know I'm not supposed to show bias or something, right? Who cares! hahahah! I LOVE HARRY!!!

...IMPORTANT NOTE...
When we actually DO start the poll, PLEASE ONLY VOTE ONCE!! Just to make sure it is fair to everyone, I am asking you on your honor to only place one vote for which theme you want. Even though I intend to vote for Harry at least 15 times. KIDDING!!! Seriously though, let's behave a LITTLE bit. If that's possible. Good luck with that, right? icon_wink.gif

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:37pm
post #54 of 78

Any thoughts on a water park theme? Since it will be hot in July.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:54pm
post #55 of 78

I like the favorite book idea, instead of limiting it to harry potter, since it will alienate those of us who are morally opposed to it. =)
so, if my opinion means anything, I think an option should be

*********************favorite book************* that way everyone can participate.

celosita002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celosita002 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 8:15pm
post #56 of 78

My favorite so far is ***Harry Potter***

How about ***favorite vacations*** since many people take vacations in the summer.

I am VERY new to the cake decorating world, but this TOTM will give me some practice icon_smile.gif

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 11:38pm
post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyfl

I like the favorite book idea, instead of limiting it to harry potter, since it will alienate those of us who are morally opposed to it. =)

I hope you wouldn't really feel alienated! While you might choose not to read the books, and may even feel that they are for some reason (religious, I assume?) inappropriate to others, I don't think that you should feel that you are being intentionally excluded. To me, in order to be alienated, others would have to be intentionally doing something to exclude you. (as opposed to use choosing to exclude yourself)

To give an example, it is very common for there to be a Christmas theme to contests in December. Should I feel alienated because Christmas has no real meaning for me?

Maybe we just have different definitions for alienation, and if so, disregard my message.

Melvira Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:18am
post #58 of 78

I also immediately thought of the Christmas situation, and how we don't always consider that there are people of different faiths here. If the collective group decides to go with favorite book instead, that would be just fine with me, but if they DO decide to go with Harry Potter specifically, I hope anyone who is not a fan, or who opposes that theme would simply come back to us when we are choosing the next theme. I certainly do not wish to anger or frustrate people, but sometimes it does happen. Thanks for understanding!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:55am
post #59 of 78

If Harry Potter is picked those who are opposed to the books could always look on it as a portfolio building excuse if they still want to participate. If you're selling cakes or plan to in the future there's a good chance someone might want something based on that and it might be nice to have an example.
You could also pick something that goes with the theme you've been wanting to make but haven't had a reason to, like a castle or book.

I don't think anyone is trying to alienate those who aren't fans or something but it's impossible to not offend someone. A beach theme might offend someone who's Muslim if someone makes a girl in a bikini.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 6:53am
post #60 of 78

No, no, no offense would be taken...just everyone could participate if it was a "favorite book" theme as opposed to just those books. With Christmas, people can do winter themed cakes, non religious things, so I woudn't think let's say someone who is Jewish couldn't participate in a Christmas in July theme, because there are snowflakes snowmen etc. that can be made. Like I said, I would not feel as though it was purposeful alienation. I may have chosen the wrong word there. I just love participating ....LOL, so for selfish reasons I would prefer it to be a non specified book theme. I hope I clearly stated that.......darn computers......so much confusion! icon_lol.gif I won't be in a huff if it is Harry Potter though.

*edited* to add that you are right, castles or such could be done instead....not reading the books makes it hard to pick something to go with it though LOL.......ooooh ooooh I know I could just do a cookie of a very "hairy" potter......potting his plants ROFL........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%