If You Took Classes, Where Did You Learn?

Decorating By riveritaly Updated 2 Aug 2006 , 4:42am by riveritaly

riveritaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riveritaly Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 22

Hello everyone - I am relatively new, so I usually read posts and oggle over all your beautiful cakes. I finally decided that I am going to take the plunge and start taking decorating classes. I have 3 options available where I am. The first option is Michael's Wilton classes, then there's continuing education at the local community college, and they are also offered through the local community center adult education. Does anyone have any opinion on what each type of venue offers? I've called all 3 to ask about the backgrounds of the instructors and they haven't been able to offer me much help. I didn't know if other places besides Michaels taught Wilton or if it was all the same, so I thought I'd ask you guys! I'd love to go to culinary school and become a pastry chef, but this seemed like a cheaper route icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Kim

21 replies
rachmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachmakescakes Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 22

I took the Wilton classes at Michael's and loved it! I'm not really familiar with any other classes so that's all of the information I can offer. I'm sure tons of people will respond with some great advice.

I think if you really like decorating, you'll enjoy any class you take. Good luck!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 22

I took classes at The California Culinary Academy in San Francisco, CA years ago, they were just week-end classes..It was $225.00 per week-end (Sat only), for a whole day (8 hrs.) class, that included breakfast, lunch and ALL the supplies and ingredients.. we didn't have to bring anything but our selves. Aprons were provided. I would not take it anywhere else. icon_smile.gif

bridgett413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridgett413 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 22

I took my classes at Michael's and for the most part I loved it. I had a great instructor. That being said, the last 2 classes of course III my instructor went on vacation and the replacement instructor was someone so new that I remember her sitting in on my course I class doing roses, "Because she hadn't quite gotten them down yet." So I really felt cheated at the end there. You really can't beat the deal though, especially when Michael's is runnning one of their specials (and they seem to always be offering something.) If you REALLY WANT TO LEARN though, look into the cake suppy stores in your area. I know a store here in Norfolk offers them with EXCELLENT instruction, but they are about 3-4 times as much. I'm still thinking about retaking them though... Sorry if my thoughts are all over the place, my 2 1/2 year old is constantly pulling on me!

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 22

I took 2 cake decorating classes at the local community college. The classes were taught by an experienced cake decorator. The first class taught the basics of cake decorating, how to do some of the borders, and so forth. The second class was suppose to be more indepth and teach us how to make flowers out of royal icing and some wedding cake stuff.

The first class was okay, even though I was already familiar with most of what she was talking about. The second class didn't seem to go as well. I don't remember how to do some of the flowers she showed us and she didn't really get into the wedding cake stuff due to running out of time.

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 22

i have never taken a class i learn most of the techniques and the right and wrong way by trial and error and by the great post here and the help i have gotten from other sources such as the food network every time i see a cake special comming on i try to watch and learn. I am sure there is something a technical class can teach me. but just doing the occasional cake at home is not work the money spent to take the class.

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 22

I took my first cake decorating courses (beginning, intermediate & advanced) in Norwalk, CA. at a Adult Continuing Education school that offered many types of career training classes. Once I completed those courses I took a couple more at the local cake decorating shop in Bellflower, CA. When I moved to Mississippi I took all three Wilton's courses at Michael's. I have become very close to my cake instructor from Norwalk, CA (who works at a prestigious bakery in CA.) and we keep up to date on the latest techniques, ideas and such.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 22

I have taken the Wilton classes at Michael's but I am looking into also taking some additional classes that are offered at some local cake supply stores.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 22

riveritaly: What do you want to learn and how much do you want to learn and why do you want to learn? Is it to bake for your family, go into business, or create some art?

I personally wanted to learn to create cake sculptures and wanted to learn fondant and suffered through all the Wilton classes and hated every minute of them. I chose my classes badly. In today's society, our time is in short commodity and I made a mistake.

If I were you, I would look through the cakes here, find someone you like and would PM them for their personal advice.

BTW Welcome to CC you will love it here.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 22

I was mostly self-taught and then took the Wilton classes last year. I really enjoyed the classes and learned a lot of things I did not know. For the money, you cannot beat it, and they are only 2 hours a week. Granted, you are not going to become a professional just taking those classes, but it is a great starting point ~ and you can see if it is something you really want to then DIVE into! thumbs_up.gif

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 22

Wilton 1 and 2 never got to three.
Collette peters 2 classes,,, whimsical, and wedding cakes.
scott clark woolley; sugar flowers 1, roses class
twice
and right now, ROn ben israels sugar flowers
at the french culinary.
I have to say though, "the self taught people
in the class have better flowers."

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 22

I've taken all 3 witon courses and was very disappointed with the course III instructor icon_mad.gif We only did half of what was in the book so I started looking elswhere icon_sad.gif I found a local craft store that has a experienced cake decorator and I have learned so much from her classes icon_smile.gif (fondant/gumpaste bows, molded figures, fondant drapes). The next scheduled classes are wafer paper, embossed wild roses & lettering, and fancy icing borders. icon_cool.gif It is more expensive then the wilton classes but worth every penny and they carry supplies that I had only been able to find online (impression mats, textured rolling pins, satin ice, molds, etc.) thumbs_up.gif

texaskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskitty Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 10:36pm
post #13 of 22

I don't think the location of the classes is going to matter much. What it really depends on is how good the instructor is and how well he/she is able to explain and teach the techniques to their class.

If I were you I would try and talk to people that have taken the classes at the various places and get their opinions on the class and instructor.

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 10:40pm
post #14 of 22

I've taken classes at a cake-decorating shop, Michaels and at our community college. All reasonably priced. I'll take advantage of any nearby classes if they're not too expensive. These classes give you opportunities to practice, practice, practice. I plan to take the Wilton master classes in Illinois eventually and want to be as skillful as possible before I attack the high-price classes.

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 22

i learned from work experience, when i did take the cake decorating course at the culinary school i was going to, i was way ahead of everyone

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 11:14pm
post #16 of 22

I have not taken classes in cake decorating. I went to culinary school but we did all bread mainly-No cakes. everything I know ids from trying and listening to others. I have really come full circle but still have a ton to learn!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 11:24pm
post #17 of 22

Kim,
I'm self taught, but after 20 some odd years of it, decided to take Wilton I at Michaels. Right now, the class is only $12 for 4 sessions and I couldn't pass it up. I want to learn the 'right' way to do everything, although since being on this forum, I've taken alot of what everyone has said and it all works!! So, along with the class I really value this forum for all my answers. P.S. Our Jo Ann Fabrics stores also have Wilton classes.

cnalvarte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cnalvarte Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 11:31pm
post #18 of 22

I took Wilton classes at a Michaels Craft store, it was a set of three courses. I am currently taking classes at a culinary academy.

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 1:11am
post #19 of 22

I also took classes at my local school by an experienced cake baker and i have to say that the class wasn't structured enough. she often got off track and didn't take some questions seriously. I've actually learned more from this site than i did from her.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 1:23am
post #20 of 22

Contact the instructors at the two school venues and ask them if they have a syllabus available, or if they teach Wilton method.

Taking Wilton classes will only get you Wilton method instruction. Schools like the ones you have mentioned often teach Wilton method, plus production roses, different flowers that are not offered through Wilton.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tmassey5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmassey5 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 1:33am
post #21 of 22

I really think that texaskitty has it right when she says it depends on the instructer. I took at a local community college from and experienced cake maker. I learned some because I was a beginner. I haave been mostly self taught after that. I must admit that I managed a local store that sold cake supplies and held classes. i learned several things from each of our regular customers just through everyday conversation.
You just learn som much by trial and error.
I would take whichever classes work best in your schedule and then go from there. If you really like it you will be able to go with what ever you learn and with this site to come to you can learn it all icon_lol.gif
It's a wealth of information here at cc.
good luck!

riveritaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riveritaly Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:42am
post #22 of 22

Thanks everyone for your input. You have given me some new ideas to think about. I have a lot of baking experience, but not so much in decorating. Decorating to me makes sense because I love to bake and I am very creative/artistic. The first class I need to take will let me know if I really want to pursue this and take the more expensive classes. I am in process of contacting the instructors, so hopefully I'll be able to make a good decision. Thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%