Scratch Bakers...

Decorating By SILVERCAT Updated 23 Jun 2007 , 10:17am by mistiek2006

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 29

Hey all! I have entered a county fair cake contest and I need some recipe help. I need three knock your socks off scratch cake recipes. Along with your cake pickings please include a filling that goes great with that cake and a buttercream flavoring that goes with the cake and filling. I would like to try the recipes out before the fair entery July 30th! Thanks for the help! Megan

28 replies
Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 29

What kinds of cakes do you need? I have a prize winning sponge cake with pinapple frosting, it makes a pretty cake but definitely not decorated.

SILVERCAT Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 29

Do we all use box mixes and doctor them up?

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 29

try epicurious.com

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 29

I have a good chocolate cake recipe, but I don't have one particular filling I use for it.

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:11am
post #6 of 29

Ok so I left some important info out for you all. Two of the cakes will be judge on taste, texture, flavors and all of them will be judge on appearance. I was thinking of using the WASC cake but I thought if I did three different flavors it would be better. Thanks for the help.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 11:29am
post #7 of 29

Our county fair will not allow any kind of box mix to be used even if it is doctored. They can request a recipe to verify the cake is truly a scratch cake. Check the rules. The red velvet cake off of this site is great with cream cheese frosting. Other then that I am really no help.

Howiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Howiesmom Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 11:53am
post #8 of 29

I have a FABULOUS devil's food cake recipe that is my most requested cake. It's truly phenominal. Come to think of it I have another one that is definitely a prize winner. Send me your email address at [email protected] and I'll send these recipes to you. If y'all suggest that I post them here I will. icon_smile.gif

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:01pm
post #9 of 29

umm... YEA!!! Please post!! icon_smile.gif Don't just tease us with-"I have a FABULOUS devil's food cake recipe that is my most requested cake. "!!

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:09pm
post #10 of 29

Yes they do request your recipe and you can NOT use any box mixes at all, even doctored. That is why I am asking for som egreat recipes here. Thanks for the help

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 29

I have a white chocolate recipe with white chocolate icing somewhere . I will look to see which of my many cookbooks it is in later today. after i do my errands.

ptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptain Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:27pm
post #12 of 29

howiesmom, Please post... I would love to have those recipes...PLEASE..

Howiesmom Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:30pm
post #13 of 29

I'll definitely post it today...I work 3rd shift so I'm gonna catch some zzz's and then I'll dig it out and let y'all have it.

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:38pm
post #14 of 29

Thanks you Howiesmom! Cant wait to try it out!

Fiddlegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fiddlegirl Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:39pm
post #15 of 29

Does it need to be cakes that you've developed or can it be recipes you found in cookbooks or on the Internet? Here is a WONDERFUL cake: White Chocolate Almond Cake. The cake is moist and stays fresh a long time.
Here's the link:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=554763

Tweedy
Ps. 33:3

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:44pm
post #16 of 29

I have everything from Chocalate Mocha Heaven to a beautiful Coconut with Lemon Curd Filling, Red Velvet, Yellow Buttermilk, etc. Let me know if you would like me to post or email any of them. I believe my 12 layer cake recipe is already on this site.

Good luck! I haven't tried baking for a fair yet, I'm always to busy clogging! icon_wink.gif Baking is how I pay my way through dance class and competitions. Maybe this Fall though...

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:03pm
post #17 of 29

I am a doctored cake mix lady but would love to expand my horizons. Could you please e-mail or PM your recipes to me also. Thank you so much.
norma

SILVERCAT Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:18pm
post #18 of 29

Anyone that is willing to share recipes can email me at [email protected] I am willing to try any and all. The recipes have to be scratch and can NOT contain any commerical products atleast the cake and icing!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:32pm
post #19 of 29

There may be other food safety rules to be considered. Such as no cream cheese, whipped cream, unpasturized milk or eggs (unpasturized eggs cooked to 160 degrees are acceptable.) The recipe is required. Frequently, the catagories are specific. Example: 2 layer chocolate cake with chocolate frosting- if you use a coffee filling you would be disqualified from that catagory. Also if you do not want a recipe published, don't enter it. I won the sweet rolls competion and that recipe was published the following month in the the county extention office flyer.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 4:05pm
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiesmom

I have a FABULOUS devil's food cake recipe that is my most requested cake. It's truly phenominal. Come to think of it I have another one that is definitely a prize winner. Send me your email address at [email protected] and I'll send these recipes to you. If y'all suggest that I post them here I will. icon_smile.gif

Oh please do! I have such a hard time with chocolate cakes being dry. I would love to have a fabulous devil's food cake recipe!

Bzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bzer Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 7:08pm
post #21 of 29

thanks for sharing....Please post...

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 12:24am
post #22 of 29

Apologize for previous post--got confused. icon_redface.gif

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 11:39pm
post #23 of 29

Looking forward to your recipe Granpam... icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:46am
post #24 of 29

Can't wait for that recipe!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 4:19am
post #25 of 29

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fabulous-Fudge-Chocolate-Cake/Detail.aspx

I tried it this past weekend for a father's day cake with caramel filling and tried the whipped cream cheese icing on this site. Unbelievable! The cake was gone in a day's time. We had family in and everyone had at least 2 pieces.

I'm using this as my chocolate cake for now, I really loved it. It didn't call for baking powder which I was a little surprised about and because I was still fearful it wouldn't rise (despite not seeing that mentioned in the reviews) I put a little in anyway. No problems.

I also really like the "Classic White Cake II" on this site. I use it as a basic white cake and also when I want to make a lemon cake. (use lemon zest for the flavoring.)

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:50am
post #26 of 29

Anyone wanting my White chocolate cake recipe please email me. I don't think i can post it because I don't have the source. It came from a magazine over 11 years ago but I have no idea which one since my daughter found it and typed it up for me. My emaiil addy is:

[email protected]

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 7:56pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethroze

I have everything from Chocalate Mocha Heaven to a beautiful Coconut with Lemon Curd Filling, Red Velvet, Yellow Buttermilk, etc. Let me know if you would like me to post or email any of them. I believe my 12 layer cake recipe is already on this site.

Good luck! I haven't tried baking for a fair yet, I'm always to busy clogging! icon_wink.gif Baking is how I pay my way through dance class and competitions. Maybe this Fall though...

Those recipes sound great, please share!!!

Howiesmom Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 9:06pm
post #28 of 29

Sorry y'all. I have been super busy this week and haven't had a chance to list these recipes. I'll definitely do them tonight (actually I'll start loading them now). Let me know if you use them icon_smile.gif

mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 10:17am
post #29 of 29

I have a fruit cake that is soft but undecoratable if you want it, the recipe is yours. Just let me know. I'll get out my 1950's Betty Crocker cookbook after this weekend, if you let me know what taste you have in mind (I inherited it from my great great aunt and plan to pass it to my daughter, what a gift from the lady who taught me to bake.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%