Frustrated With Mmf For 3Rd Class

Decorating By anoldhippy Updated 2 Aug 2006 , 4:15am by sugarfreak

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:56am
post #1 of 6

I know this was just my first try BUT!!! It was hard as a rock, had to keep putting in microwave to be able to roll it, as I rolled it out there were little bits of powdered sugar that never dissolved into fondant, would not stay stuck to the crumb coated cake-I used a little piping gel like she told me, only made the fondant gooey. It done 8Pm and due tomorrow-scared to look and see how the 2 are! I like making fondant roses now so thank goodness I made a gazillion-to cover up all the yuky fondant. Please keep good thoughts and any pointer are appreciated

5 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:03am
post #2 of 6

What recipe did you use? It sounds like there may have been too much powdered sugar. The recipe I use calls for the 16oz. bag of marshmallows, but I can only find them in 10 oz. bags so I have to add part of another bag.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:05am
post #3 of 6

You don't put in all the powdered sugar that is in the recipie either, that could have been your problem.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 9:41am
post #4 of 6

I think the first thing I would check is your marshmellow bag. Like stated above was it a 10 or 16 oz bag of marshmallows? I didn't realize there were two different sizes until I went to buy them for MMF.

Also another common problem is to much powdered sugar. The recipe calls for 2 lbs, but depending on the weather (humidity and such) depends on whether or not I use all of it.

HTH

Leily

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 6

I did check the bag size and added some extra, I also noticed that it wouldn't take all the powdered sugar and I don't think I added enough h2o. The MMF was really hard this AM, in fact, the roses wouldn't hardly stick to the fondant using vanilla and vodka (of which I took a big swig!!!). It turned out good, just a little mess up on the way home,on the "lace"-but that is why there is a backside, right? I will take pictures and post and try again-thank you for your suggestions

sugarfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfreak Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:15am
post #6 of 6

Same thing happened to me tonight! ARGH!!!
I started at 8pm and JUST finished it (midnight)
My fondant kept sticking. Now I have another problem...My top layer (of the 10") is sinking into the bottom part...so it made a crease in my fondant. ARGH!! ARGH!!

Sorry...didn't mean to monopolyze your thread...just wanted to let you know you were not alone tonight!

BTW...me too it's for my last class III tomorrow morning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%