August Birthdays Need Ideas!

Decorating By Katydidz Updated 1 Aug 2006 , 2:40am by cakesbyjess

Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 7

August is a CRAZY month for birthdays for me. My brother in laws birthday is today, my sisters birthday (his wife) is the day after tomorrow, I have a sweet little old lady in my neighborhood whose birthday is Friday and she specifically requested one of my cakes, then one of my best friends is the 7th, my niece is on the 12th, my friends (and partner in cakes) parents are the 22nd and 23rd, my mom's the 24th, and my brother's the 29th. That's a LOT of cake. So my bro in law and sis are probably getting two small cakes, one for each of them. I have no idea what to do for his cake. The only cakes that I know what I'm doing are my sister and my niece (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Scooby Doo) any ideas for anyone else?

6 replies
cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 7

Good luck is all I can offer.....The neighbor lady will love ANYTHING you do - don't worry about her. The rest will probably love anything they get - just don't stress out.

I have my sister's 40th on the 16th......I have no idea what to do...

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 7

I would do a sweet basket of flowers for the neighbor. Maybe a heart cake for your mom.... Don't stress too much. They will all love whatever you give. (But that is a lot of cake! Turn your A.C. down... it's going to be hot in that kitchen especially in Utah!)

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 7

for you BIL -- what does he like-- golf, football, etc.
does he like a certain show?
what does he do for a living?
does he have any hobbies?

i love the idea of the basket of flowers for your nieghbor.
for the rest i would check out the galleries and see if you see something

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:12am
post #5 of 7

Katydidz,
Take something they like or something in their personality and go with that. I have 3 birthdays this month that I'm making cakes for, plus the county fair. My Father-in-law's birthday is tomorrow and he's not much of a dessert person, so I thought it would be fun to do a speghetti and meatball cake...will be working on that in a minute. My daughter's first birthday I am making a little girl out of the 3D stand up cuddly bear pan and putting that on top of a 9 inch layer decorated like the outside...she loves it outside. My mother-in-law's cake is going to be a purse (I hope, never tried it before). She loves to shop.

Or if you can't figure out anything that they like that would work you could just make a fun wimsical cake with dots or stripes or flowers. Something like that.

Good luck.

P.S. Where in southern Utah do you live? I'm in West Jordan, Utah

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:33am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydidz

August is a CRAZY month for birthdays for me. My brother in laws birthday is today, my sisters birthday (his wife) is the day after tomorrow, I have a sweet little old lady in my neighborhood whose birthday is Friday and she specifically requested one of my cakes, then one of my best friends is the 7th, my niece is on the 12th, my friends (and partner in cakes) parents are the 22nd and 23rd, my mom's the 24th, and my brother's the 29th. That's a LOT of cake. So my bro in law and sis are probably getting two small cakes, one for each of them. I have no idea what to do for his cake. The only cakes that I know what I'm doing are my sister and my niece (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Scooby Doo) any ideas for anyone else?

Egads that sounds like my May! icon_cry.gif Get the mass production line going LOL- probably not the time to come up with a whole bunch of different cake flavours/fillings etc? Just a thought anyway, to streamline- figure out all the cakes, make them simple, or fairly simple recipes- make all the cakes one day/two days- wrap and freeze. This is obviously after you decide what the cakes will be lol - then you can make a huge batch of BC and/or MMF or whatever else ahead of time- sort of mark off a timeline/schedule on the calendar what to do when so then the next night say is making flowers night, or whatever, have all those made - the things that can be stored in airtight containers well in advance (according to you pros lol)-
instead of doing 1 cake from start to finish today- then another start to finish in 2 days, and so on- if you do that you'll surely stress yourself out-

in my business we call that 'chunking' lol - do all the cake baking together, do all the BC together, do all the MMF together, (just have to map out what you're doing and what goes where and be well organized lol), but let me tlel you a heck of a lot less stressful than doing one project at a time from start to finish!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:40am
post #7 of 7

Sunflowers and black-eyed susans are great flowers to do on a cake this time of year. They're not very hard, and you can use the same colors for both! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%