Has This Happened To Anyone Else. Could It Be Mold?

Decorating By Tonja Updated 14 Jun 2007 , 11:35pm by Tonja

Tonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tonja Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 9

I baked a sheetcake after 7:00 last night. I had the hardest time getting it done( even with 2 flower nails). After it cooled, I cut the top off because it was darker than I wanted. I put it on my cooling rack and wrapped it in plastic wrap. I went to bed, and to work today. I came home around 2:00 and flip the cake over to put on the board and I see 5-6 little dark circles in a couple of places!!! My house is air conditioned with central air and we keep it at about 72. I am sending this cake for one of my good friends nieces wedding shower on Saturday. She is picking the cake up tomorrow and taking it out of town. COULD IT HAVE MOLDED OVER NIGHT???? I am so afraid to send it. What if it is mold and molds again?! This cake is so moist, it is almost wet feeling. I just do not know what to do. I need the CC experts! Thanks ~Tonja

8 replies
klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 9

when in doubt toss it out and rebake.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 9

Did you cover it entirely? or just the top? I have noticed this happens to me if i place them in the cooling rack. I guess it has something to do w/rust from it maybe? Or can it me the nail?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 9

Are the marks in the same spots as the cake nails you used?

If yes, then that's rust from the nail's not being dried thoroughly after washing; if the nails stay wet they rust and this is what you are seeing.

You can cut the bits of rust out of the cake and the rest will be fine. icon_smile.gif

Sugarshock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarshock Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 9

Was it completely cooled before you covered it? Mold usually grows in the condensation on food, so if that built up in between the cake and that plastic wrap it could be.

caketease Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketease Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 9

I agree with Jaxdesserts, when in doubt just throw it away and rebake. It is not worth anyone becoming ill.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 9

What a bummer! I agree with rebaking. Even though with the conditions you described, I doubt that it's mold, but why take the chance? weird...

slingmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slingmama Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 9

I had something similar happen with a loaf of bread...turns out I measured the ingredients wrong (added too much liquid) and it was all yucky and started to mold.

I hope you next one works out better.

Tonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tonja Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks guys! I rebaked the cake. Luckily it is pretty simple and I have already made all the fondant daisies. The big part will be the basketweave on the top and I love to that so it will be easy! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%