Question For Catholics..

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 31 Jul 2006 , 12:40am by Lisa

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 12

I've been seeing alot of first communion cakes posted and it kind of confuses me, I thought everyone in the States was doing conformation in the 3rd grade and didn't get communion until then. My MIL tells me it's the whole country but I've seen so many I have to wonder.
She's a little annoyed that we aren't sending our oldest to classes this fall, he's going into second grade, but I don't know why she was surprised since we only go to church for weddings and funerals.
Also I know of a kid that is an altar server who's 6 and has had first confession, I thought the "age of reason" was 7.
I don't want to start a debate about when this should be done but it's been bothering me. icon_lol.gif

11 replies
MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 12

I know that when I was a Sunday school teacher in the Lutheran church, which takes a lot of its' traditions from the Catholic church, that the first communion was made after graduating the fourth grade class. So that would be when the child was approximately 9 years old, in the springtime. Also, the first communion cake I made was for a child who had just finished the fourth grade and her communion was made in the Catholic church. That is about all the experience I have with first communions.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 12

I didn't go through confirmation until I was in the 6th or 7th grade. Confirmation and First communion are not the same thing. I was not baptised until I was in middle school so I didn't have first communion when most did, but I do believe it they do it in the 3rd grade or 4th.

mbelgard Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I didn't go through confirmation until I was in the 6th or 7th grade. Confirmation and First communion are not the same thing. I was not baptised until I was in middle school so I didn't have first communion when most did, but I do believe it they do it in the 3rd grade or 4th.

I know that's how they were doing it until just a couple years ago here and then they changed it, I'm in North Dakota. I'm just wondering if it's just this area or through the whole country. Now they have first communion AFTER they are confirmed but during the mass where they are confirmed. I know that's how the church did it years ago (like 19th century) but conformation wasn't until you were about 14 then.
Until they changed a couple years ago communion was at the end of 2nd grade here.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 12

I have not practiced in years, but I went through 10th grade in a Catholic school, daily mass, etc.

We were taught the age of reason was 7. We did first communion/first confession in second grade. We prepared all year for it...we typically had the ceremony in May.

Confirmation was age 13 and up.

It has been many years, though, and I am not sure if the church has changed its stance. I don't think so...one of my girlfriend's son just did his first communion/confession, and he was in second grade.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 12

Here, First communion is around age 8 or in third grade, confirmation age 12 or sixth grade. it always been that way, since I can remember though....

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 12

here is how we do it in our church but i know other catholic churches do it different but it is always in the same order... most catholic people are baptized when they are infants ( like 1-3 months old) and then first communion (when you actually recieve the host for the first time) was in 2cd grade and then confirmation was when you are a sophmore ( i guess its more meaningfull then). some of the area churches have confirmation when they are in the 8th. but i am positve it is always in this order baptizim, first communion and then confirmation.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 12

Just a side note...confirmation is meant for those old enough to make THEIR OWN DECISIONS about which faith they choose to follow (whereas when you baptize a baby you are choosing for the baby).

mbelgard Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme

here is how we do it in our church but i know other catholic churches do it different but it is always in the same order... most catholic people are baptized when they are infants ( like 1-3 months old) and then first communion (when you actually recieve the host for the first time) was in 2cd grade and then confirmation was when you are a sophmore ( i guess its more meaningfull then). some of the area churches have confirmation when they are in the 8th. but i am positve it is always in this order baptizim, first communion and then confirmation.

Not here. I know that even before the change here if you were an adult going through confirmation who had never had first communion you didn't get communion until after confirmation.
That answers my question, it's something that our bishop is doing.
My husband was really confused when he heard about the change because he had been told that you weren't confirmmed until you were old enough to understand.
I don't think we'd put our child through the classes right now even if we did go to church since I don't see how they can understand everything and make the decision.
Thanks

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 12:02am
post #10 of 12

mbelgard--- where do you live?

i have never heard of a church doing communion after confirmation. i agree that the child should be old enough to make the decision if they want to be catholic... sometimes i wonder if i had not been a born-in catholic (as i call it) , if would still be catholic or would i have chose something else?

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 12:17am
post #11 of 12

Oh man...don't want to rock the boat BUT do you guys READ the BIBLE? THE BIBLE...the one god wrote? If you did then how can you continue with some of these Catholic rituals? Baptizing babies...CONFESSION...now that one gets me..If you read God's word then you know that God(Jesus Christ) is the one we are to be confessing to and asking for forgiveness. Is it true that there really is a man in a box that you tell your sins too? Or is that just Hollywood? Help me understand the Catholic faith please.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 12:40am
post #12 of 12

I've locked this thread. Political and religious debates/discussions can go downhill quickly and I'd like to end this one here. Hope everyone understands. Thanks--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%