I Want To Quit (Wmi) Need Advice! Long

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 7:35pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 11:39am
post #1 of 19

I just became a WMI in the spring and have only taught two classes because a majority of them have been cancelled so far. I feel like I just dont want to do this anymore. Then reading another thread posted recently about how other instructors are getting paid for things I do not, that was just the breaking point.

I do not get paid to make samples, and I have to pay for the supplies.

They want us to come in for these class preview days, 3 hours on a saturday, and not pay us. Plus we need to bring in our own supplies.

Most of the classes on the schedule have been cancelled. So basically i have to block off my evenings several months in advance, then they will just cancel the class.

I have 3 small children and with everyone's schedule it just seems like a burden to me.

So these are the reasons i want to quit! LOL! I am unreasonable here? I think I just got really annoyed when I found out other instructors (with other stores) are getting paid to do demos and samples when they expect us to do it for free. Does ANYONE else feel the same way that I do? It seems like everyone else is pretty happy with their situation.

I hate being a quitter and I just dont know how to go about it.

18 replies
sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 19

Have you talked to the store manager to discuss the issues you have? Or, contact Wilton to find out if there is another store in your area that needs a WMI. Otherwise, if nothing can be resolved, I'd probably quit.

renkly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renkly Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 19

I have been a WMI for almost a year and I have felt the way you do a zillion times!!! But I am still going strong and I am very glad I have stuck with it.
I made 6 cakes for display ( 2 for each course) and made a great
display , all from my pocket BUt it was fun and once it was done it is done, no more expense.
Once the classes really start rolling, the students know you and then they keep coming back for Course 2 & 3. So it takes a while to get the classes going. The first few months I had no classes and now each month I have at least 2.
I have two reasons as to why I keep teaching. My first reason is I love teaching and love being with other crazy cake people for 2 hours - so much fun. The other reason I stay is I get 40% off the classes at the Wilton School in Chicago, Colette Peters, Nicholas Lodge at 40% off.
Hope that helps as you try to make a decision, I know how you feel as I have been there a zillion times. Now I love it and look forward to the girls every week.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 19

OK, I don't teach and actually only been doing this for a few months. But, I am a nurse and work at a hospital. And trust me I don't go into the building without clocking in. If I am there for a staff meeting, I clock in. I love my job, but lets face it, I need a paycheck. I understand doing things because you like it. And you have to look at all angles of course, some benefits make it worth it. But wouldn't it be easier to do in your living room on your own if you have to do all the other extra out of pocket. I only paid 15.00 a class and one was free that month. We had 6 people in class 1 and only me by class 3 and 4. I was glad my teacher stuck it out for my sake, and I know she had to clock in. So I guess she got paid for 1 or 4. I know many people here have expressed how they wish they could get 1:1 or a couple hands on personal time. I was lucky and we did extra stuff since I was alone. Just my 2 cents.

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 19

Aside from the % off classes, do you get paid for your time or anything? It seems to me, either Wilton or Michaels or whomever is advertising the class should pickup the cost of your time and supplies. They are the ones who benefit from all the new decorators and the subsequent supplies they will purchase. I wouldn't be so willing to give of my time and extra expenses if I didn't at least get those reimbursed. Also, don't the students have to pay to take the class? Who gets that fee?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 19

Is this at a craft store?? Michael's!?? You should be getting paid for EVERYTHING you do there! I was an event coordinator there and things were kinda like that at first. But, by the end I found out that Wilton Instructors should be getting paid for everything they do! I can't remember if they were suppose to supply everything but, I know they got paid like a lot for doing one sample! You should be speaking with the Manager and your person in that area dealing with Wilton...mainly the Manager first!
Good luck! Let us know what happens! Try to stick with it! If you are new, it might just be about getting the word out there sometimes that can be hard cause people in the area don't know you yet.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 19

"love being with other crazy cake people for 2 hours - so much fun" LOL

I'm not a WMI, so i can't really help. But i also thought of you contacting wilton and see what's expected. Plus find out if there is another location you can go to. It seems like a PITA. GL

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 19

It sounds like you have a lot or reasons to quit. But do you have any reasons to keep with it? (Enjoyment, something for just you, store/Wilton discounts, the people) If not then there is your answer. You certainly do not want to be doing something that you get nothing positive from. This is costing you time and money and if you have nothing to make it worth your time or money then I see it as a waste to you.

JMHO

Good luck! icon_wink.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:36pm
post #9 of 19

Merissa... I wish I could tell you to stick it out and all would be well, but I am not able to. I am a WMI and can tell you, IN MY OPINION, this job is kind of a joke. I absolutely hate the management people I have enocountered. I work at more than one location, as I mentioned in that other thread, and they treat me as though I am lucky to be there, and I should kiss their feet that they ALLOW me to teach the class. (HELLO??? I am making them money!) They kept scheduling other things during my class time, and then they'd stick me and my students in the back room that is filthy and disgusting. Moldy food containers left by employees, etc. I was mortified, and the students wrote letters to the store HQ ragging a blue streak about how we were treated, and then the managers turned on ME and told me it was MY JOB to make the students feel 'ok' with whatever the management team decided to make them do. (More than one group of students went through this, I am not talking about one day, or one group, I am talking about months and months of this behavior.) In one store the coordinator came in on one of my Course 1 Week 1 classes where I make the cake and show them some things... she actually complained about the colors I was using and that my roses weren't big enough. I'm sorry, but look at the cakes in my gallery... are my roses that bad??? I told her if she wanted grocery store roses she was barking up the wrong tree. I don't make those. (No offense to grocery stores, but you know they make those humongous roses... I don't like those and I don't make them.) I also feel that the courses don't teach enough. I mean, there are weeks where you're expected to sit there for 2 hours and all you learn is one flower and two borders? On those weeks I give people the option to leave early or sit and practice. Then, on the other side of things, my Wilton supervisor or whatever you call her, is completely disinterested in me. The only time I hear from her is a reminder to send tracking, and the occasional link to the newsletter. She shows no interest in being helpful, etc. Even when I have contacted her for help, she acts like I am inconveniencing her. (And I am a pleasant person, I am very professional when I conact her, and courteous to beat the band... I know it's not my attitude that is causing these issues with these people.) Anyway, I'm sorry to rag endlessly, I just want you to know that you are not the only one dealing with this. I am currently 'taking a break' from teaching because I have a lot going on, and I don't know if I'll be going back to it. I hope that you can work it out and have a better experience, but if not, do NOT feel bad about it. Time with your family is more important than going to this 'job'. Keep your chin up!

step0nmi Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:41pm
post #10 of 19

Oh wow! Melvira! I didn't realize that things could be THIS bad! I guess the store I had was kinda good!

You guys should not be doing this if there are problems all around! It's not worth the trouble! It should be fun and enjoyable!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 19

Merissa:

It sounds as though you have already made up your mind. Since I read the other thread I know where you work.

I do not have small children and only taught (past tense) because I LOVE to teach and I LOVE to do cakes! But, I can tell you this. I quit because the store where I worked would have required more of my FREE time than I was willing to give.

If you aren't willing to do what the store is requiring (PS I don't think they can REQUIRE this of you and not pay!) then by all means quit with a clear conscience. It's not fair to YOU or YOUR FAMILY!!

Let us know what you decide!

Beth in KY

finally928 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finally928 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 19

Merissa:

I am also a WMI and recently decided to become "inactive". That is, I gave up my position at the store. I am a single mother, had childcare issues and wasn't being paid correctly or on time. The manager wanted me to come in and work demos, but wouldn't pay me for it.

What I would recommend to you is to give it up for a while, if you really feel the way that you do, but leave on good terms w/ your supervisor, in case you wish to return to it in a few years.

With three young children, I'm sure your time is valuable, much more so than Wilton will acknowldedge. When you figure the amount of travel time, supplies, before class work, after class work, teaching time, etc, we are sorely underpaid, and they know it.

Good luck ... and don't feel bad about quitting. It doesn't make you a quitter at all -- it shows that you are putting your family first and your hobby second.

Hugs to you .. Judi

springlakecake Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 19

thanks for your support everyone. Thought I better start my own thread since I hijacked the other one with my rant! LOL!

Well I havent had so much of a problem with the people. I mean the coordinator is nice and it isnt like she is forcing me to come in for preview days, and she is not hounding me for the displays. But if you all are anything like me, I have trouble saying no. Or even if I do I feel guilty. I dont think it is the coordinators fault that I dont get paid for these things. But I am just realizing that I dont need to be giving up so much of my free time.

I love doing cakes, I love talking about cakes. But I guess I would rather make cakes for people I love or for people who pay me. I can talk about cakes with you guys!

okay speak of the devil! the coordinator just called and cancelled the class I was supposed to do on saturday!!! But see, I actually feel relieved. Of course I ALREADY bought supplies for the class. Maybe I can still take them back. I think I have made up my mind, but now I just have to figure out how to quit. I'm such a scardy pants.

springlakecake Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:58pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by finally928

Merissa:

I am also a WMI and recently decided to become "inactive". That is, I gave up my position at the store. I am a single mother, had childcare issues and wasn't being paid correctly or on time. The manager wanted me to come in and work demos, but wouldn't pay me for it.

What I would recommend to you is to give it up for a while, if you really feel the way that you do, but leave on good terms w/ your supervisor, in case you wish to return to it in a few years.

With three young children, I'm sure your time is valuable, much more so than Wilton will acknowldedge. When you figure the amount of travel time, supplies, before class work, after class work, teaching time, etc, we are sorely underpaid, and they know it.

Good luck ... and don't feel bad about quitting. It doesn't make you a quitter at all -- it shows that you are putting your family first and your hobby second.

Hugs to you .. Judi

Wow, you really put what I feel into just the right words. Thank you!

finally928 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finally928 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 9:00pm
post #15 of 19

Merissa -- you're welcome. I'm glad that my post helped.

As for "how to do it" ... contact your supervisor and tell her that as of (insert date here), you will not be able to continue as a WMI. Tell her that you need to devote your time to your family, but that you enjoyed your time as a WMI and that you hope to pick it back up in the future. Then thank her for all of her assistance.

If you make it upbeat, then you'll be perceived positively and it will leave the door open should you wish to return to it when the kids are older.

When I sent something along those lines to my supervisor, she wrote me back stating that she hoped to work with me again. Which told me that the door would be open.

Then you tell the store people that you wont be able to teach past that same date.

They are used to people leaving their positions. If you give them advanced notice, they will appreciate it and you'll feel better about it.

Good luck.

judi

springlakecake Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 19

okay so I decided to quit. I feel guilty about it, but really I think it is a load off of my mind.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 6:16pm
post #17 of 19

Dont' feel guilty! You have your priorities, and right now, this is not one of them! Kudos to you for making a tough decision.

step0nmi Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:01pm
post #18 of 19

Way to go!!! You don't need that stress in your life right now! I recently just had to make the same decision!

Don't feel guilty! They will move on without you! Every workplace does!

springlakecake Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:35pm
post #19 of 19

yeah, they have another lady anyway. It's not like I did that much, I only had 2 classes, one regular class and on kids class(5 cancelled so far due to low enrollment). I just hated having to block off so much of my time and the class just to have the class cancelled. I know things would pick up in the Fall, but i just had to ask myself if I really wanted to teach them anyway with the schedule we will have then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%