Edible Images..... Argh!

Decorating By debsuewoo Updated 29 Jul 2006 , 9:15pm by Lisa

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 4

I have been sitton on my EI system for a week, getting up the nerve to use it. Anyway, my daughter wanted an edible image on her birthday cake, so I had to set it up. Following instructions I renamed my printer to Canon-epson and placed my inks in the right place, bring up the program and follow instructions (it really is a easy program!) and get to where I can print. So I print the image and it prints with SAMPLE all over it. Can't use that one. I went back and saw that a box that was not supposed to be checked was checked, so I print it again. Success. I cut the image out and try to peel it and the paper is ripping! Shoot! So instead of throwing it away, I set it in the freezer and print another one thinking that I was going to see if the one in the freezer peels then I'll freeze the one I just printed. So I pull it out of the freezer and it came off so easily, but it wilted like almost right away. Anyway, I put that image down very carefully and place the new one3 in the freezer for a few minutes, pull that out and CRACK! It cracked in half! Luckily the other one only tore on the side, so I carfully put that one on the cake and work with it. Those sheets cost about $2.00 each and it was a relatively expensive learning curve, but I have learned how to use the images! (check out Jesse ~sigh~ McCartney in my photos).

3 replies
rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 4

Sounds like your sheets are very fresh, and therefore harder to work with. A trick I learned here on CC is to blow dry them on low setting. That will dry them out enough to peel. Sorry about your expensive learning curve, that must have been very frustrating!

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 4

You know they are fresh. I went to the faqctory to pick them up last week. So the "Older" they are the easier it is to work with? It melted into the cake pretty fast so atleast that was good thing.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 4

The images need time to dry somewhat before you can peel them...the fresher they are, the moister they'll be and the longer they'll take to dry. This is actually a good thing especially when cutting images out. To dry them, you can set them out to air dry or use a blow dryer to speed up the process. Putting them in the freezer is another way but you can run into the problems you mentioned so blow drying is the way I always do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%