I Made Mmf Today

Decorating By TheCakeSmith Updated 29 Jul 2006 , 8:34pm by TheCakeSmith

TheCakeSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeSmith Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:28am
post #1 of 13

it really sucks doing it by hand since I don't have a KA.
I have a Oster stand mixer that looks like it's about 30 years old, but I only have the beaters. My Grandma says it has a dough hook, but she can't find it. Would it be ok to use this and the beaters next time, or do I HAVE to do it by hand since I don't have a paddle or hook?

12 replies
Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:35am
post #2 of 13

I dont think I would do it with the beaters...would be way to messy I think. Way to hard on the machine as well. But, nothin' says you can't try it once. icon_wink.gif

TheCakeSmith Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:37am
post #3 of 13

Exactly like this one as a matter of fact!
LL

TheCakeSmith Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:38am
post #4 of 13

Do you think I could do all of it with the hook if I can find it?

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:44am
post #5 of 13

When I use my KA to do mine, I dont use it the whole way...I use it up untill the consistency gets almost too gooey...then I do the rest by hand. If I were you, I would try it once, see how it goes. If it sounds or smells like the machine is really struggling, then just stop. But its worth a shot!
icon_wink.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:44am
post #6 of 13

No way! I have a KA and it will only go so far on MMF..... stick to the tried and true method unless you can afford to get another mixer.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:46am
post #7 of 13

I don't think I'd risk it, unless you're trying to get rid of that mixer!

TheCakeSmith Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 5:24am
post #8 of 13

By the time I added about 1/2 of the second 1/2 of P.S. (does that make sense?? icon_lol.gif ) I ditched the spoon, lathered up my hands with crisco and kneaded the rest in. That's probably what I'll have to do....
Man was I sweating by the end of that little experiment though!

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 3:27pm
post #9 of 13

Am I the only one who would rather do MMF by hand?? I tried it once in the mixer and didn't like it so now I just grease down a large pyrex bowl, melt the marshmallows in it and add PS directly to that and stir. Once it starts to not be so sticky anymore I throw in some more PS and knead it in the bowl then on the counter until it's the right consistency..

Maybe I'm weird lol.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieBugg2000

Am I the only one who would rather do MMF by hand?? I tried it once in the mixer and didn't like it so now I just grease down a large pyrex bowl, melt the marshmallows in it and add PS directly to that and stir. Once it starts to not be so sticky anymore I throw in some more PS and knead it in the bowl then on the counter until it's the right consistency..

Maybe I'm weird lol.

LOL Well then I'll gladly be weird with you- of course I'm weird not by choice then, cause I don't own a KA (yet LOL)

I was just thinking that depending on how old the mixer is you have, check with the manufacturer and see if they have parts and how much they've changed. Probably cheaper to replace that in the interim than getting a whole new machine. Dare I also suggest trying out a few secondhand stores? (ya before anyone goes blech, you sterilize stuff when you buy it- and dont tell anyone you got the paddle at the secondhand store lol), lots of 'spare' and 'odd' parts at the secondhand store. My sister needed a replacement bottom part/blade for her blender because it broke - nice blender ,didnt want to get rid of the whole thing- found the same bottom at the secondhand store

or ask around see if anyone has the same model you do?

susieq76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieq76 Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 7:28pm
post #11 of 13

I like to make it by hand too- granted I'll let you know if I still like doing it by hand after I finish making the ridiculous amount I'm going to need for the cakes I have due on the 10th & 11th!

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 13

I'm also a fan of kneading it by hand. It's the only way to get it the right consistancy without it being too dry or sticky. JMO icon_smile.gif

TheCakeSmith Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 13

Well, I'm glad in my frustration over the spoon I didn't ruin it by kneading the rest of the powdered sugar in.

I did some research on my mixer and the only attachments it came with were a round and square beater and two dough hooks. No paddle or whisk icon_sad.gif . Some day I will have a kitchen aid.....someday. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%