Long Time No See--Quickie About Bday Cake For Tomorrow

Decorating By Susecita Updated 28 Jul 2006 , 11:44pm by Susecita

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 3

A lot has happened to me since I last posted. I had a pretty cool job at the bakery for three months. I had to quit because to be honest I was being horribly mistreated and harrassed. Does this happen in all bakery settings? My boss was great but i worked with two women who where miserable about life, hated their job and i think were really angry at me all the time for liking my job...they also felt threatened. I thought the environment was unprofessional and stressful. So now, I know what I like and don't like about bakery works and Im not sure I want to work at one again. I want to have my own business and do only cakes. I want to concentrate more on the artistic aspects of cake creation and not mass production. I found that after a while at the bakery the designs just kept repeating themselves and I had no room for artistic expression and creation. Nothing else. I am still going to pastry school in July 2007 and hopefully open a cake business sometime after. I have decided that i want a cake making decorating business that I can run by myself and that does not require many more employees...even if I have to do all the work. Now, with that said. I have my first paid cake coming up tomorrow. It's a bday cake. She wants to use fondant and I use MMF.

Will the MMF keep during the summer? What precautions should I take so that it keeps? Can I make shapes w. the MMF or should I use buttercream? I know these are a lot of q's but I look forward to your comments!

This email is a bit freeform, I know but don't have much time in my borrowed pc. I'll check back later on icon_smile.gif

-Sus

2 replies
fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 3

I use MMF, but haven't used it in the hot summer heat yet. I read on another post that someone used it when the temp was somewhere in the 100's and it held up outside for about an hour. Other people have suggested that you can also use an all crisco buttercream or use hi-ratio lards like Alpine or Sweetex in your buttercream to raise the melting point of the buttercream. I read a post where someone used all-crisco buttercream in a very hot area and it held up fine as well.

Your other question--yes, you can make figures out of MMF.

Susecita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susecita Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 3

Bumpy icon_smile.gif

-Sus

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%