Buttercream For High Temps

Decorating By pyseas Updated 13 Jun 2007 , 1:00am by miriel

pyseas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pyseas Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 5

I will be making a cake for an outdoor dinner. It will probably be over 100 degrees, but it is not usually really humid.

Should I stick with an all shortening buttercream?

I've read that hi-ratio shortening stands up to heat well, but I don't think I have access to that around here. Is it sold at Smart N Final?

4 replies
mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 5

I live in hot calif too and I use the all shortning. I make sure my cakes are good and cold when I transport them. A/C is a must out here at least it will be later. Will it be in the shade?

kms2402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms2402 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 5

I would use all shortening too. Unfortunately I live in a very hot AND humid climate. I made a cream cheese icing in the middle of winter and had to keep it in the fridge until ready for transport. Even that didn't keep it as solid as I wanted! Good luck!

pyseas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pyseas Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:54am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the advice. I thought I should!

It's probably very unlikely it will be in the shade. The race track only has a couple trees. Although I could take my pop up shade thing.

To make matters worse, the track is an hour away. So I will have to transport it and assemble there.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:00am
post #5 of 5

This recent thread has discussions on Val's High Humidity BC recipe: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-288073-high.html+humidity+buttercream

Scroll down page 1 to see her recipe. I have not tried it yet though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%