Can Royal Icing Be Converted Somehow?

Decorating By RitzyFritz Updated 1 Aug 2006 , 1:13pm by ConnieB

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 19

I have a BUNCH of royal icing made for a Wilton class I was unable to attend. Can it be converted to a more desirable frosting such as for decorating cookies? I can't see myself using royal flowers (just not my forte I guess) but I really don't want this to go to waste, as there is 3 batches. I like Antonia74's cookie frosting but wasn't sure if this royal could be converted somehow to be anything closer to hers or not.

May be a shot in the dark but worth a try before I throw all this frosting away!

Thanks in advance!

18 replies
RitzyFritz Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 19

bump!

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 19

I think if you thin it down with water you can use it for cookies.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 19

you said "more desirable" frosting - were you looking for a way to flavor it or something? You can use it for cookies - royal icing is used mlit of the time anyway - but if you don't already like the flavor of it - then you prob. won't love it on a cookie either. Kids love it though.

You could also practice yoru flowers - I know I did that w/ all my extra royal icing from the class... it's great to have some flowers on hand. I was making a cake that turned out to be a bit of a disaster, but since I had some extra flowers on hand - it turned out looking pretty good! You can see it in my pics - it's kinda off-white and it has a "half circle" of flowers around the top. Thankfully it wasn't for sale - it was just for my parnets church group - but still, hayng the extra flowers made it at least look prettier than it would have been!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 19

Why don't you just make a ton of drop flowers. They're super easy, and you can't believe how pretty they can look.

imartsy Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 19

I thought drop flowers weren't so easy - you have to twist your wrist at such a weird angle - do you know of a better way to do it, cakesbyellen?

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 6:02am
post #7 of 19

I ice my cookies with royal icing as it is, in fact I wouldn't know what else to use. Basically you pipe the outside edge of the design you want in normal royal icing and fill it in with watered down royal icing (the consistency of thick cream)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 6:07am
post #8 of 19

Nic Lodge's Gumpaste recipe starts with royal icing.

CakesByEllen Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 19

imartsy,

I start with my wrist twisted forward a bit (say 9:00), then squeeze as I move my wrist to about 1:00. I think it gives just enough twist.

You can also make drop flowers without twisting your wrist at all. Just put the tip down and squeeze a bit to push the icing out.

Then all I generally do is put light yellow dots in for the centers.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 19

What do drop flowers look like? Could you post a pic as they sound interesting icon_smile.gif

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 19

Here are a few pictures of drop flowers I made
LL
LL
LL

CakesByEllen Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:47pm
post #12 of 19

I also decorated a garland with only drop flowers and it looked amazing. Here's the link.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=CakesByEllen&cat=0&pos=10

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 19

Wow!!! You're right! That garland is amazing! I'll have to keep that one in mind, as well as in my favs.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:55pm
post #14 of 19

I had never used royal for flowers until recently but I made it and absolutely LOVED using it. I don't even mind the taste but they are easy to pick off if people don't like to eat them. I think I liked the no-grease clean up the best.

On a side note - drop flowers are supposed to be "easy" but I can never get mine to turn out. I've tried all kinds of consistencies of icing. But the never have pretty, full swirled petals like the ones here by Vanaya.

Katydidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katydidz Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 19

I like royal icing better on cookies than on cakes. Something about the crunchy sugary buttery cookie just makes the royal icing great. Also, royal icing lasts a REALLY long time, I'd hang on to it until you thing of something you want to try.

RitzyFritz Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:17pm
post #16 of 19

Thanks so much for all the input and tips!!! I do wonder about something tho....I had it in an airtight container and it started separating at the bottom. As mentioned, there were three batches in there, and it is now 3 weeks "old." Any suggestions as to what could cause this and if it means it isn't any good anymore...or does it just need to be remixed?

Thanks again!

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 7:25pm
post #17 of 19

Hoe long does Royal icing last sitting out on the counter?

Also, would you refrigerate it? If so, how long would it last then?

imartsy Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:46am
post #18 of 19

I think it lasts 1-2 weeks either in the fridge or out (although I don't think you need to put it in the fridge). I remember in my Wilton class I tried to bring some royal fromt he last class to the next and nothing was really piping right - the teacher said it had probably started to "break down"

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:13pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks Imartsy, I think I might need to throw some away that I have a t home that has been there for about 3 weeks! usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%