Ingredients In Luster Dust?

Decorating By dtmc Updated 28 Jul 2006 , 3:58am by leta

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 5

Can anyone tell me what are the ingredients in Luster Dust? What makes it edible? On the jar it just says non-toxic.

I bought non-toxic chalk the other day and emailed the manufactur on the ingredients and they emailed me back same day with all the ingredients. Nothing poisonous or toxic....hence non toxic. So, I plan on using the chalk on my gumpaste florals and fondant. Probably not the entire cake that will be eaten, but the decorations that don't get eaten.

If anyone knows, what is in Luster or petal dust I would love to know!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 replies
jackimorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackimorgan Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 5

I would like to know what the difference is between luster, sparkle/shimmer, and petal dust...

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 12:50am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackimorgan

I would like to know what the difference is between luster, sparkle/shimmer, and petal dust...

I know luster dust is glossy with a shimmer, irresdescent look. Petal dust is a flat eye shadow look. Sparkle/Shimmer is I think sugar flakes or ground up sugar with a bit of color to it.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:14am
post #4 of 5

Here is a link that describes the differences and says which dusts are FDA approved. Note: you have to scroll down the page to get all of the information. HTH

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/dusts.htm

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:58am
post #5 of 5

The current AMERICAN CAKE DECORATING magazine has an article on this (or maybe just a statement). The dusts contain titanium dioxide and mica.

Foods cannot contain more than 1.25% by weight of the dust. etc.

So, it has been tested now.

They also have an article on additives in cake decorating products.

Hope you have recieved your copy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%