...make Very Soft Carmel?

Decorating By praetorian2000 Updated 13 Jun 2007 , 1:23am by keepontryin

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make a carmel that remains soft at room temperature. I want to be able to scoop it out and spread it on the crust of a cheesecake before pouring the batter in it. I could get some carmels and melt them in heavy cream but I'd rather make it from scratch. Is there a recipe around that will give me what I want or is there something I can do to one of the billion carmel recipes I have?

7 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 8

I make a caramel pie that requires you to boil sweetened condensed milk in water for 2 hours. I'm sure you could use that for your cheesecake because it does remain soft, even when chilled.

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 8

I thought of that some time after I posted the question. I was hoping there was another way. I just got into making candy from scratch and I would like trying to make a soft carmel from scratch instead of from condensed milk.
How sweet is this stuff? I've never had carmel sauce made from condensed milk or made from scratch or out of a jar. I don't want anything that going to be bone crushingly sweet.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 8

well it's definitely sweet.....but caramel is in my top three of favorite sweet things so it's ok for me. The caramel sauce in a jar is good but more fluid than the milk will turn out. Have you posted in the candy making forum?

keepontryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepontryin Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:42am
post #5 of 8

Caramel sauce is just sugar and water cooked till a nice amber color and then add cream and butter.

18oz sugar
4 oz water

squeeze of lemon to prevent crystalization

heat till boiling in covered pot
remove lid and cook till amber

Add 2 cups room temp heavy cream, watch becasue it will bubble up
Once bubbling stops stir till smooth
Add 2 tablespoons butter
Stir till melted.

If it siezes, put back on low heat and stirr with whisk till smooth.

HTH

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:54am
post #6 of 8

Yep, go with the sugar water recipe. It also helps to have a candy thermeter. Be careful because once it hits the temp it goes quickly to carmel to burnt sugar. Also, when you add the heavy cream, take it off the heat and be careful because it will swell some and you could get a nasty burn.

bubblywhitewine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblywhitewine Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:15am
post #7 of 8

That sounds yummy. I might have to give it a try too. What temp should you cook it to?

keepontryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepontryin Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:23am
post #8 of 8

yes, typed the recipe in a hurry, do take it off the heat but be careful it will sort of erupt. It's key to have that cream at room temp in order to avoid seizing.

Sorry I do it by eye and not temp so I'm not sure but maybe around soft crack. I'll look up a recipe and get back to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%