Looking For Prism Shaped Sugar Mold

Sugar Work By BrandisBaked Updated 13 Jul 2007 , 4:30pm by Hollyanna70

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 4

I'm having difficulty finding a silicone mold in the shape of a prism.

Specifically, I'm looking for something that replicates the prisms that hang off of chandeleirs (I need a 5" prism). I've looked at making my own - by first buying one of the prisms (about $15) and then a mold making kit... but it seems like buying a pre-made mold would be less expensive. That is, IF I can find one.

Has anyone seen one, or can you tell me the best place to find molds for poured sugar?

Thanks!!

3 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 4

If you can find a good quality silicone prism mold it will probably cost about $20.00. You might be better off making your own of silicone plastique.

Chef Rubber does make special silicone molds made for poured sugar work, but they are pricey.
http://www.chefrubber.com/Shopping/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=18&cat=Food+Grade+Silicone+Molds

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 4

I've never made a mold, and while it looks easy - I'm afraid of messing something up and having hot sugar spill out all over me. Sugar scares me (I've seen someone get badly burned from it) - which is why I'd prefer something pre-made. It at least gives me the illusion of safety! LOL!

I'll have to check that site out. Thanks!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 4

I made my first mold last night, and it was SO easy. Seriously, if you can find the stuff, do it.

I went to Hobby Lobby and bought something called Amazing Mold Putty, it's in a purple and yellow box, with a baby on the front of it. It's with the rest of the clay, resin, rubber molds, etc.

The instructions are very simple.. It cost about 20 dollars, but there's enough putty to do several molds. I did over use it a bit, as I wasn't sure what to expect, but after making 8 molds, I still have over half the putty left so I can make more at a later date.. (unused, before being mixed, putty I mean)

The only problem I had was one of my molds had a line in it, but since I'm using it for fondant it, I can just smooth that out. It was my fault for not making sure it was smooth before I molded it.

Oh, it's FDA approved also, so it's completely food safe, as long as that's the only thing you use it for. icon_smile.gif

Give it a try if you can't find your pre-made prism mold.

I hope this helps.

Holly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%