Do You Still Use A Buttercream Dam When...

Decorating By brnrlvr Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 9:04pm by brnrlvr

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 15

Do you still use a stiff consistancy buttercream dam when you are using a different flavor frosting? Like cream cheese or chocolate or peanut butter? SO say you're making a lemon curd filling and cream cheese frosting, do you still make the dam from buttercream because of the need for it to hold up and not bulge?

14 replies
marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 15

Great question! I have no idea.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 15

I would!

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 15

Yes, I always use a dam of whatever icing I'm coating the cake in unless I'm filling the middle with the same icing (which is rare). Not only does it add support, but it will keep the filling from squeezing out and either causing a bulge or showing through the icing.

(Edited for clarity)

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 15

I make my dam with whatever icing I am using to ice the cake. I have never had to stiffen the icing with IMBC, it holds well with it's own texture.
Cream cheese icing is softer than standard powdered sugar buttercream though, so am not sure how well it would hold. You might try making a recipe of your buttercream and dividing it up into small containers and freezing it, then just use those for dams alone.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 15

For the dam, I use whatever icing I use for the final coat.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriel

For the dam, I use whatever icing I use for the final coat.

Ditto. icon_biggrin.gif

brnrlvr Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 15

Okay, so to clarify, you all think other types of frosting will hold up for a dam to prevent the filling coming out and bulging between layers. So I don't need to use stiff consistancy buttercream religiously to create my dams with. Right?

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 15

Right!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 6:48pm
post #10 of 15

I never use a damn, I cut down into each layer about 1/4" or so around the edge, then use a spoon and take out some on the cake. Then I fill. So basically I am using the cake as a damn! I never get bulge and it always works great for me! Now, I wish I know who told me this on CC so I can give them credit! Maybe this method would work for you if you don't want any buttercream between your layers.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 15

OMG! icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif I just realized I kept typing "Damn" instead of "Dam"! My baby needs to sleep at night again so I can get some sleep! Oh, the effects of mommy brain!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 7:31pm
post #12 of 15

Carson, hehehehheheheh I didn't even notice, I have the same problem.. but thank God he is now sleepin more... not always but most of the time.... it will come in time, until they start dreaming... so keep on keeping on icon_smile.gif

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 7:45pm
post #13 of 15

LOL...I was reading this post laughing on the inside...wondering "damn what?"...too funny!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 8:54pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson

OMG! icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif I just realized I kept typing "Damn" instead of "Dam"! My baby needs to sleep at night again so I can get some sleep! Oh, the effects of mommy brain!

Too funny!

brnrlvr Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 9:04pm
post #15 of 15

Hee hee!

Interesting idea to scoop out the cake. How wide of a rim of cake do you leave?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%