Where To Find Sugar Gun?

Decorating By audreylovesbrian Updated 17 Oct 2011 , 4:00am by MCurry

audreylovesbrian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audreylovesbrian Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 4:41am
post #1 of 9

In aine2's face tutorial it shows a picture of a sugar gun. I'm wondering if that's what it's actually called, and where to buy one.

Any help would be appreciated!

8 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 4:50am
post #2 of 9

Here's the sugarcraft gun from Beryl's: http://beryls.safeshopper.com/216/7424.htm?961

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:03am
post #3 of 9

you can use clay gun or even playdough gun that kids have .They both work great .

dods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dods Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:07am
post #4 of 9

Hi

I picked mine on-line from Orchard products, it was reasonably cheaper and shipping was not much.

rgds

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:14am
post #5 of 9

I thought i read a post that said the clay gun is not food safe???

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 5:20am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by miriel

Here's the sugarcraft gun from Beryl's: http://beryls.safeshopper.com/216/7424.htm?961

I have this one. I love it,but I think if you are planning big projects you might try something bigger. It is very small and only holds a small about of fondant

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 9

I got a clay gun from Michaels for 5.50 (without my coupon!) It was in a section of Makin's that I had never seen before. It had push molds and texture sheets and all sorts of fun things. I don't know if it is "food safe" but I am not worried about it, it is just the standard hard plastic, I can't imagine it is going to do any real harm. Of course you can't use a clay gun for fondant if you've used it for clay already, but I don't see the harm in buying one for that specific purpose, especially if it was a metal one. I also read a post that said you shouldn't ever use PVC pipe, it isn't food safe, but they use PVC pipe to run water lines in construction- so it must be food safe, right? But I'm still doing family cakes, so I haven't had to worry about alot of the picky picky health code stuff yet.

labarradulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labarradulce Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 3:47am
post #8 of 9

don`t buy the plastic neon clay guns because it doesnt work, the handles bend after 3 or so uses, invest in a `good metal clay gun
icon_smile.gif

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 4:00am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by randipanda

I got a clay gun from Michaels for 5.50 (without my coupon!) It was in a section of Makin's that I had never seen before. It had push molds and texture sheets and all sorts of fun things. I don't know if it is "food safe" but I am not worried about it, it is just the standard hard plastic, I can't imagine it is going to do any real harm. Of course you can't use a clay gun for fondant if you've used it for clay already, but I don't see the harm in buying one for that specific purpose, especially if it was a metal one. I also read a post that said you shouldn't ever use PVC pipe, it isn't food safe, but they use PVC pipe to run water lines in construction- so it must be food safe, right? But I'm still doing family cakes, so I haven't had to worry about alot of the picky picky health code stuff yet.

I agree. Mine is from Michaels as well. I have never used it for clay only fondant and gumpaste. PVC pipe is food safe (while it does not have a NSF label on it) for the exact reasons Randipanda says. Many cake decorators go to home construction stores and get PVC pipes custom cut for rolling large pieces of fondant if they can't afford a sheeter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%