Decorating Checklist - Must Knows

Business By LearningCurve Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 11:24am by LearningCurve

LearningCurve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LearningCurve Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:03am
post #1 of 5

I am in the practice stage of starting a cake business so was wondering if anyone could give me some must know techniques that I should learn before I start to sell cakes. I would love to take a checklist and start incorporating those techniques into future cakes so I get the practice in.

Also if you don't mind looking at the bridal shower cake I made this past weekend and giving me some constructive critisism. I truely am not looking for "it looks nice" comments. I really want to learn so any thing that could use some work I would love to hear it!! I posted it on the cake decorating forum and got some great pricing ideas but would also like to hear how I could make the cake better.

Thanks,
Amanda

4 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:21am
post #2 of 5

The first thing I noticed was the aluminum foil covered board. You cake is only as nice as the board you put it on. I think aluminum foil distracts for the cake. The dress looks really pretty. If it were me, I would have cut it out, but then I guess it wouldn't have fed as many people. Overall, I like it a lot. Good luck to you.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:03am
post #3 of 5

on your cake, i love the dress! what i would change though, is to actually carve it so it is skinny in the middle and follows the shape of the dress. it just looks a little funny to me to have this huge flesh tone background. the folds in the gown make a really nice touch. im in the process of starting a biz too, and what im doing is finding techniques/designs i like but need to work on and practicing them on dummies as i go. for example, i wanted to do a butterfly wedding cake, so i just went and found out how to make butterflies and did the cake! i wanted to learn to do a chocolate wrap, so i just today went and did it. am i making sense? assess what you want to learn and what you need to learn, and just go do it! thumbs_up.gif

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 11:04am
post #4 of 5

Amanda, I like your dress cake. I made one similar awhile back and everyone raved on it. It's a unique alternative to sheet cake for bridal showers. I will make mine larger next time or sit it on a larger cake or even add some roses around the lefthand corner. It was very fun to do and I think it shows creativity. I too hate the foil look. I buy freezer paper and cover all my boards. As for a checklist my best advice would be to get a free website and decorate different types of cakes for your portfolio. Decide who you are going to market to and concentrate on perfecting your techinique. I learned alot about myself and my cake business by putting together my website. You have to make lists and put things in print and somehow it all comes together. You can do it! Pam from Bama

LearningCurve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LearningCurve Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 11:24am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your replies!

wespam Not to found dumb but what is freezer paper?? Does it have sticky on one side or do you tape it? Where in the store is it..with the foil and parchment paper?? I figure it will be a couple years of learning and kids growing before I really start selling cakes so I don't want to start a website yet. I just don't have the talent or experience yet. But I will continue to practice techniques on the cakes I am doing.

beccakelly I too was a little concerned when it was done that it would look flesh toned. it was supposed to just be a light brown background not thinking ahead of time that it would look flesh toned. I just thought something a little darker like that would show off the ivory dress better. Plus the icing had a little chocolate caramel creamer so it turned a little towards that color anyway. I did a chocolate warp too a couple of weeks ago for my parent's anniversary. But I was in a rush and didn't get a pic icon_sad.gif

peacockplace what do you usually put on your cake boards?? I love the look of the wrapping paper or scrap book paper but am not sure what to put over it. Plus when it came time to assemble the cake I had thought about it but at that point it was too late to go get something different. Especially since I wasn't really sure what to get, but that was a good point.

Anyway thank you again for the suggestions. Any advise I can get now will only make me better for the future!

Amanda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%