Square Wedding Cake

Decorating By CJBabycakes Updated 26 Jul 2006 , 10:12pm by cakesbyjess

CJBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CJBabycakes Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone,

Here in a couple of weeks I will be making a square wedding cake. For those of you that have made square cakes what do you use for the "cake board". I can't find square cake boards and I really don't want to rent anything. This is a gift for my sister-in-law and I am trying to keep my cost down as much as possible.

Thanks!

4 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 5

You can go to Home Depot or Lowe's and they will cut you a pieceof plexiglass for about$3-6. Not too expensive, and it looks really nice under the cake.

ZM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZM Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 5

I've always been able to find square cake boards. Other ideas I've heard or are using mirrors or glass. I would guess that glass might cost less because you can get a deal on a "scrap" piece and have it cut to the necessary size. Sorry that's not much help.

melxcloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melxcloud Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 5

Depending on the size/weight of the cake you could also use foam core board (1/2" thick). You can cut it yourself using a utility knife which is nice. Although i'm not sure how much weight it would support.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 5

I just take a 1/2 sheet or full sheet board (depending on how large the cake is) and cut a square out of it. If you're cutting the board for the bottom tier, I'd suggest making it 4" larger than the cake on all sides. I usually double or triple layer the bottom board, and then wrap it in cake foil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%