Wedding Cake Experts:)

Decorating By isakov1 Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 3:48am by aobodessa

isakov1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isakov1 Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 13

My sister and I have a wedding cake to make soon. The bride to be wants it to feed 200 people and she wants separate cakes, different sizes. As I've read on here the wilton servings are not really accurate but Earlenes chart is a bit confusing as well. I'm not a math person not to mention we don't have the huge pans (18 inch and up). She says we can do 4 cakes I guess but what sizes??

Thanks in advance!!

Cindy

12 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 13

I need a bit more information in order to answer your question:

She is wanting 4 separate smaller multi-tiered cakes or she's wanting just 4 separate 1 tier cakes?

What shape is she wanting (round, square, oval, petal, hexagon, clipped corner square)? This will affect the number of servings.

If she wants 4 separate smaller multi-tiered cakes, is she planning on saving the top tier of all 4 cakes or just one of the cakes, or none of the cakes?

Are all 4 cakes to be the same or different flavors?

What design is she wanting on these cakes (small simple bottom borders or large complex bottom borders/flowers encircling the bottom of each tier/anything large or heavy to go at the bottom of any of the tiers)?

If you can give me the answers to the above, I can work out the pan sizes you need really quickly for you, no prob!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 13

i use the cake serving guide i found on CC that follows indydebi's cutting method. i'll try to post it as an attachment. i would suggest to her doing square tiers, cause you'll get a lot more servings out of square than round tiers.

isakov1 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:26am
post #4 of 13

Thanks ladies! Finally I can actually post something. I could barely do anything on this site all day... she has actually changed the serving sizes to 150, they will be all the same flavour of cake, three layers of cake, two layers of filling. They will be separate round tiers (each standing on its own) and very simple...covered in white fondant with ribbon around the bottom. The florist will then provide the flowers for the top of each cake. She doesn't want to keep any of the tiers, will be serving everything. She thinks she will be having around 300 guests at the wedding but others will be bringing desserts as well as the wedding cake. I hope you understood my essay hereicon_smile.gif Thanks for your help!

Cindy

isakov1 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:27am
post #5 of 13

Thanks ladies! Finally I can actually post something. I could barely do anything on this site all day... she has actually changed the serving sizes to 150, they will be all the same flavour of cake, three layers of cake, two layers of filling. They will be separate round tiers (each standing on its own) and very simple...covered in white fondant with ribbon around the bottom. The florist will then provide the flowers for the top of each cake. She doesn't want to keep any of the tiers, will be serving everything. She thinks she will be having around 300 guests at the wedding but others will be bringing desserts as well as the wedding cake. I hope you understood my essay hereicon_smile.gif Thanks for your help!

Cindy

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:37am
post #6 of 13

For 4 round cakes that will serve 150, based on Earlene's chart, I'd go with 6-9-12-15 with following servings:
6" = 8
9" = 22
12" = 45
15" = 80
for a total of 155 servings.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:45am
post #7 of 13

She is inviting 300 people but only serving cake to 150 icon_confused.gif

Is she just cheap ( icon_rolleyes.gif ok - on a tight budget)? Even if there will be other deserts, everyone wants wedding cake! At the very least 250 out of 300 will be expecting cake even if it is a small piece.

miriel has the sizes down for you tho, remember she gets charged for the 155 servings even tho she asked for 150 - unless she wants you to cut out 5 pieces of cake first? LOL!

prterrell Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:48am
post #8 of 13

She's invited 300 or she expect 300 to show up out of the 450 she's invited? Um, even if she has other desserts, she needs to have enough wedding cake for everyone, as everyone will want wedding cake, regardless.

Anyway, assuming she's really determined to have not enough cake, since it's not a stacked cake, just separate tiers, if she wants them all the same size, she can do 3 14" cakes (each one serves 51, so that would give her 153 servings).

If she wants each separate tier to be a different size, a 6-10-14-18 will give 170. Or, if you don't want to purchase the 18" pan, you can go with 10-12-14-16 which will give you 181.

Oh, and my servings are based on my serving size of 3"x1"x4", so if you are cutting the pieces smaller, you will get more servings.

HTH!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:04am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

She's invited 300 or she expect 300 to show up out of the 450 she's invited?

Good question! That makes a big difference! If she invited 300, then under Debi's 60% Rule, she should plan for 175-180 'ish. If she's expecting 300 to show up, did she really invite 450-500 people?

Let's assume she's really expecting 300 to attend. I would make it crystal clear SOMEWHERE that your cake is not designed to feed 300 people and how she WILL run out of cake, and start now to head off the "complaints" on how they ran out of cake.

Because the guests will NEVER say "oh gosh, the bride didnt' order enough cake". They will ALWAYS say, "the lady didn't make enough cake!" (along with the whispered insinuations of how you somehow "cheated" her by not providing enough cake for everyone).

I sell my cakes in a package - cake, plates, forks, punch, cups, etc. One bride wanted to order cake in a package for 100 and then sheet cakes for the rest (50-75, I can't remember now). Package price includes the plates/cups ..... sheet cake prices do not.

I asked her, "So 100 of your guests will get cake on a plate and punch in a cup, but the rest of your guests will drink water from the bathroom and eat cake from their hand?" I then asked her how I was going to know which of her guests got the plate? She got the point.

isakov1 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:28am
post #10 of 13

Well ladies, now you've got me wondering. The bride to be is from my sisters church and when they have weddings lots of people bring desserts as well so she's thinking she won't need that much wedding cake....I think she's expecting about 300 ppl but....hmmmm Ill figure out the cost with the 4 cakes for 180 and see what happens. She was quoted 400$ by a bakery around here but that might have been for 200 servings plus flowers...Ill have to price it and see I guess....

What about stands though....Would I just put the 16" on the table and elevate the other cakes? Do you know of any stands that would work good for this set up?? We have a micheals but they dont have much and the only other store is really expensive...she orders in supplies. 11$ for lustre dust!!! We get it for 1.89 at CC!!

prterrell Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:32am
post #11 of 13

I don't provide stands right now because I can't afford the investment for an item that someone else may or may not rent in the future. So I leave it up to the bride to provide a stand. A friend of mine did a similar cake set up, and she had purchased "Roman" looking columns in varying heights to have the cakes put on. I don't know where she got them.

isakov1 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:35am
post #12 of 13

You've got me thinking....maybe we can just use glass blocks as well.....great...how will I sleep tonighticon_smile.gif I'll be thinking about cakes....

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:48am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Let's assume she's really expecting 300 to attend. I would make it crystal clear SOMEWHERE that your cake is not designed to feed 300 people and how she WILL run out of cake, and start now to head off the "complaints" on how they ran out of cake.

Because the guests will NEVER say "oh gosh, the bride didnt' order enough cake". They will ALWAYS say, "the lady didn't make enough cake!" (along with the whispered insinuations of how you somehow "cheated" her by not providing enough cake for everyone).

I sell my cakes in a package - cake, plates, forks, punch, cups, etc. One bride wanted to order cake in a package for 100 and then sheet cakes for the rest (50-75, I can't remember now). Package price includes the plates/cups ..... sheet cake prices do not.

I asked her, "So 100 of your guests will get cake on a plate and punch in a cup, but the rest of your guests will drink water from the bathroom and eat cake from their hand?" I then asked her how I was going to know which of her guests got the plate? She got the point.

Debi, LOVE LOVE LOVE this solution! Great thinking! Some people just need to have the crystal ball buffed off before they get the idea, don't they!? And you're right, by the way ... the guests will ALWAYS complain that "the *%&$*@# cake lady didn't make enough cake", NOT "the Bride didn't order enough cake"! icon_rolleyes.gif Creative minds need to educate people without just flatly coming out and telling them to plug in their brains ... for some reason, the understand humor better than sarcasm sometimes!

Odessa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%