Dry Chocolate Cake

Baking By Annalisa Updated 26 Jul 2006 , 11:25pm by Annalisa

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 1:08am
post #1 of 10

Hello,

I am baking chocolate cup cakes for a birthday this weekend and last night I did a trial run and brought them into work today to get some feed back, some of my guinie pigs said that the cake was a little dry.

I used a chocolate cake mix, can any one please help by telling me what I can add into the mixture to make is more moist. I am stressing a little and would appreciate any help

thank you

9 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 2:59am
post #2 of 10

You can try subbing milk for water, adding an extra egg or even a small box of instant pudding.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 3:06am
post #3 of 10

A dry cake mix cake? That's almost unheard of, if it was a good mix. Did you use enough oil? Water? What temp. did you bake it at and for how long? There are so many questions to be answered before you get the answer you want.

Annalisa Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 4:53am
post #4 of 10

Hi guys,

I followed the cake mix directions to the letter. I will try again tonight and add instant pudding mix and one egg I will let you now how I go.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalisa

Hi guys,

I followed the cake mix directions to the letter. I will try again tonight and add instant pudding mix and one egg I will let you now how I go.

I like the Duncan Hines Butter Fudge Cake mix (I think that's the name) and always add a box of pudding and an extra egg. I don't do too many cake mix cakes, but this one I did came out really good.

yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 10

If it asks for oil I add applesauce and I typically add about 2 tbsp chocolate syrup

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 10

Sour cream works for me.

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 10

Be careful you don't overbake! That'll kill anything! icon_smile.gif

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 10

I have been using the following recipe for the past 20 years or so for chocolate cakes from a mix:

4 large eggs, 1 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup Crisco oil, small box of instant pudding (chocolate or vanilla) and the cake mix (do not follow the directions on the mix box). Mix everything all together, will be a thick batter, pour into greased and floured pan. I bake in a just warmed up 275 degree oven and every 15 min. raise temperature 25 degrees till you get to 350 degrees. Continue baking till toothpick comes out clean.

For other flavors cake everything is the same except 1 cup of water. Makes a moist firm cake. Everyone I make cakes for loves this recipe.

Annalisa Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Guys

Will try all your suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%