How Do You Keep Your Sanity When Doing Multiple Cakes?

Decorating By Joshsmom Updated 11 Jun 2007 , 5:02am by mekaclayton

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 11:55am
post #1 of 8

I'm in the process of doing 3 cakes, 2 due next Friday. One is a preschool graduation cake that the preschool asked me to make (my son is also going to be one of the graduates) and a 40th birthday cake for the president of the company I work for. Though I wrote down everything I needed for these cakes supply-wise I found myself flopping back and forth between cakes ~ I just have that feeling I'll be short for something on one of the cakes.

To top it off, my son is very much into spiderman and since he knows I'm already doing cakes doesn't ask for cookies, no, is pleading for his own cake icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif since I can't turn down big brown eyes I now have the 3rd cake

AAACCCCKKKK!!!!!!! I'm flip flopping between 3 cakes now.............how in the world do you stay organized and able to concentrate on each cake!!! Please save me before the white coats get to me icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

7 replies
fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 8

Well first of all I sketch my designs and then write down supplies that I need. A week before due date, I go and buy supplies. After that I write down what needs to be done based on the design. Let's say:

Monday - 1) make fondant, 2) make cake board etc.
Tuesday - 1) color fondant and make flowers or any other stuff that's needed for the cake that can be pre-prep
Wednesday - 1) bake and freeze cakes and make buttercream
Thursday - 1) ice cakes and decorate if needed
Friday - 1) make myself look pretty for client pick-up icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I think it's just writing things down and keeping track of everything. My mind is clearest when I take the bus and train ride to work. That's when I write my notes down.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 8

I frequently have 2 or 3 caterings on the same day or same weekend. You think it's rough keeping track of ingredients for cakes, try doing it with food to feed 3 events of 100 to 200!!

I make a list with the 3 events listed at the top. Then I list everything I need to buy for that event and where I'm going to get it (Sysco, Sam's, GFS, Walmart, etc). I do this on a spreadsheet, so I then sort it by supplier and color code each one. As I pick up everything, I check it off.

I also have to list all of the equipment that is going to each event: 5 chafers, 10 fuel canisters, 125 plates, bowls and platters for each side item, etc. Each event is pretty much a van full of food and equipment, so you can imagine how hectic this gets!

But I just deal with each one, one at a time, and I depend on my lists (omg, you should have seen my panic attack one weekend when I misplaced my list!).

Same with cakes .... I just deal with each one, one at a time.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 8

I also make lists, very detailed so I know every single thing I will need for all the cakes. I sketch each cake and write down all the colors of icing/fondant, filling, cake flavor, all the ingredients, cake boards, dowels, tips, etc... so I don't forget anything. Then during the week before they're due I will make my icing & filling and stick it in the fridge, do everything I can possibly do so when it's time to put the cakes together I just have to ice & decorate.
One time I had to make 14 cakes for one event! I was baking for two weeks before, putting stuff in the freezer. Luckily they were all exactly the same or I think I would have gone crazy. Good luck!

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:23am
post #5 of 8

Most of my sanity is kept from the website that my DH put together for me. It has confirmation pages with all of the details for each cake, a photo-shopped sketch of the cake, ingredients list, etc. Than I do much like Fooby and have a schedule for the whole week...baking all of the cakes one day, buttercream the next, fillings, and then begin putting all the cakes together and decorating. It works really well for me, I have had 9 orders in one week and have kept it together, lol!

monnitas0808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monnitas0808 Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:43am
post #6 of 8

WELL THE WAY I KEEP MY MIND ON TRACK....I JUST OPENED UP MY SHOP...AND FOR MOTHERS DAY I HAD TO JUGGLE 16 CAKES WITHING 3DYS...LAST WEEK I HAD 11 THIS WEEKEND I HAD 13....AND I AM ALL BY MYSELF HANDLING THE PHONE WALK IN CUSTOMERS.....AND STILL COME HOME EARLY ENOUGH TO SPEND TIME WITH MY SOON TO BE 1YR OLD AND SPEND TIME WITH MY HUBBY. WAIT....I SHOULD BE PULLING MY EYES OUT RIGHT...LOL...BUT WHAT I DO THAT HELPS ME OUT ALOT..IS I KEEP A MAGIC BOARD (ONE WHERE YOU WRITE ON WITH MARKERS) AND KEEP HOURLY WHAT I HAVE TO DO...FOR EXAMPLE 5AM BAKE 6AM BUTTERCREAM 7AMFONDANT 8AM CONSTRUCTION...THE EARLIER YOU START THE FASTER YOU FINISH BUT NEVER TRY TO BEAT THE CLOCK..THEN YOUR CAKE ISN'T SOMETHING YOU WANT TO PUT YOUR NAME ON..LOL!!! GOOD LUCK HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:52am
post #7 of 8

I didn't have several orders just two in one week but they were multiple cakes with each order. I just spent one day baking. one day to do the first order's design; saved it for day of delivery since we were invited to the party as well (had just barely any time to clean myself and change! lol)

the last one took two days for me to do since i did it in stages in 98 degree heat. had to keep throwing it in the fridge and freezer as it kept melting ON the cake (see my grad cake; the white level) lol

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 5:02am
post #8 of 8

I'm with Ribbitfroggie & Fooby, a bit, I have order forms with the complete orders saved on my computer generated from my site. I keep detailed list of supplies I need for each cake, I start baking early depending on when the cakes are due. I have a sketch book that I use to scribble scrabble several different designs if needed. I also use a cork board to post orders and keep the details stapled to each order. I try to stay very organized but with 3 little ones (with one being Autistic) it can be nerve WRECKING! So that's where my coffee comes in. LOL I don't know if I can live without it AND come to think of it, I think its about time to restock my Folgers 2lb container...not my #1 pick but definitely a runner up.
Oh yeah, I also soak in the tub and meditate on everything I need to do...it relaxes me and really helps with ideas if I'm brain-fried. LOL I work many late nights but I can't complain...I'm glad to be busy icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%