Mmf Cracking After I Add Colors...

Decorating By MessiET Updated 10 Jun 2007 , 2:26pm by Wendoger

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 8

This has happened twice now... I have made MMF several times and it is soft and pliable. Added color to some of the fondant and it was great. Then I tried coloring a little of the fondant with black and the consistency changed. No matter what I did, it kept cracking. This also happened to me a couple of weeks ago when I used the Wilton burgundy color too. Other Wilton colors I have used have not done this, just the burgundy and the black.

What am I doing wrong? Anyone else having the same problem?

I tried adding shortening to the cracking MMF but it still had this strange consistency - couldn't roll it without it looking all cracked up... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

7 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 8

Have you tried to soften it in the micro for a few seconds and then kneading it again? That should take care of the consistency problem and the crumbles!

Stephanie

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:03am
post #3 of 8

I had the same problem with a batch I made. I threw the batch out and made a new one......had no problems with the new batch. It was strange. icon_confused.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:07am
post #4 of 8

If I need a lot of colors I make the small batch of MMF and color the marshmallows after melted before adding the PS. This way when I add the PS I can get the consitency the way I want it.

HTH

MessiET Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

Have you tried to soften it in the micro for a few seconds and then kneading it again? That should take care of the consistency problem and the crumbles!

Stephanie

I did... I microwaved it for a few seconds and kneaded it a lot! I worked in some Crisco, but the consistency never changed. It was only with those 2 colors (Wilton black and Wilton burgundy), the other colors I used did not do that to the MMF...

MessiET Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

If I need a lot of colors I make the small batch of MMF and color the marshmallows after melted before adding the PS. This way when I add the PS I can get the consitency the way I want it.

HTH

Leily: that is a great idea. I'll have to try that next time.

ahmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahmommy Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 8

I have had that happen to me as well. If you leave it the microwave for longer (I guess it really depends on how much MMF you have) and let it actually get pretty warm, then hurry and use it while it is still warm, it helps. At least it helped me this last time. The only thing is it really tries to stick then so use lots and lots of crisco on your hands and corn starch on your work surface. good luck

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 8

...yep, same problem with burgundy...I had to use tons of crisco just to get it to work....and even then I could only use pieces...there is no way I coulda covered the whole cake....waaaaayy to crumbly.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%