Do I Have To Buy An Airbrush Made Especially For Cakes?

Decorating By Newbieone Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 3:18am by Newbieone

Newbieone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbieone Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 6

Or can I buy one that is used for t-shirts or uses regular paint if it has never been used before? I noticed that I can buy them for around 50-75$ including compressor if it is not a kopykake or whatever...

Thanks for any insight as it is my birthday coming up and I want a nice present for myself thumbs_up.gif I'm so excited to make my son's Spiderman bust cake in November, and I don't want a ton of red teeth smiling at me...

Christina

5 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 6

Well no, you don't really have to buy one made specifically for cakes.

You just have to find one with low PSI so as to not blow holes in the frosting. I'd say you are safe with 10-15 PSI.

jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:57am
post #3 of 6

no i have one i got from AC moore. then you can buy a psi controller so you can adjust it to whatever you want.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:14am
post #4 of 6

I have used the cheap one with the air canister from wallyworld and I have used Wiltons air cans. I finally bought an kopykake airmaster and it is the best investment I have made. It depends on how many cakes you will airbrush and the precision of detail you will need to do.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:20am
post #5 of 6

i got my airbrush and compressor from airbrushcity.com (havent used it yet I just had to have it though!

Newbieone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbieone Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:18am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for answering, guys!! Sounds like I can use the ones on ebay made for something else, which is much cheaper. Thanks for the PSI that I should have- I didn't know that.

icon_lol.gif Christina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%